Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to adopt a dog, but I don't know which breed. I have experience with dogs, so I'm not a first time owner. Here are my preferences. I need a dog that doesn't shed very much. Fur all over me and my furniture is scary, to be honest. That is mandatory. I really want a lap dog that I can cuddle up with and pet. For this reason, a small/medium dog is preferred. The dog would also need to be able to stay home alone in an apartment-sized area for 5-6 hours. As for exersise, I'd be able to play with it daily and maybe walk it 2-3 times a week. Thank you in advance for helping me out.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Too many choices.

Bichons will love you to death, fairly tough and hypoallergenic as long as you keep them groomed. Havanese are wonderful dogs.

Usually what I suggest is take a few trips through a local dog park - you'll get to meet many social pups and talk to the owners to get a feel for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A maltese would be great if you don't mind grooming, or just keeping them trimmed up is great too. They can be fiercely loyal to their owner and should be socialized to avoid aggressive/snappy behaviors toward other people and animals. But they are great lap dogs and non shedding as they have hair and not fur.

Sent from my beautiful, gold iPhone 6 Plus via TapaTalk. ❤

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Any dog with poodle in it will be a great companion. Ours is a poodle bischon mix, she does not shed, loves to be loved, will sit with you for long periods of time, I walk her every morning, the rest of the day, she goes out on the patio to take care of what she needs to do, and we can and do leave her for 4 to 6 hours at a time. She can be trusted anywhere in the house, no destruction, no accidents, she weighs in at about 17 pounds. She does need daily brushing to avoid matting, and we have her professionally groomed every month. We think she is perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thanks everyone for the great answers. Any of these dogs would be great for me. My only concern is anxiety when left alone. All of these dogs supposedly get anxious when you leave them for 5 hours. What should I do of I have to leave them alone for that long?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
When we first adopted Samantha, when we left her, she was in a crate. As she and we became more comfortable, we then confined her to the kitchen and family room area. After a month or two of that, and no unpleasant incidents, we just let her have the run of the house, which in our case is fairly large and on three levels. Now six and a half years later, we give her a treat as we are leaving, which makes her kind of anxious for us to go somewhere, and she has always been fine. Dogs are all individuals, but we trust ours completely, which she has earned with years of good behavior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If taught early, spending time alone in a safe area at home will go well. It will take time, but they will adjust. Start with the crate training and go from there. You can find lots of info on the training and how to get them used to alone time. Good luck!

Jenni
IPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

1 - 8 of 8 Posts