Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Currently, I'm a cat owner. But in the near future, I would like to have a dog as another pet .I have been thinking about getting a dog from a shelter.

So I've been wondering what is the breed of dog that best suits me??? Here is what I'm looking for:

Athletic dog. One that likes to run around. I love to swim, and I want a dog that would like the beach, to run in the sand and jump in the water. Also I do jog / walk in Central Park with my mother every now and then.

Easily trainable and people friendly. I have no clue how to house train a dog. Don't want him peeing and pooping all over. Also want super friendly. Don't want a dog that hates people and barks at them.

Can live in an apartment. I don't have a house (yet).

Minimal shedding. Looking for something with short hair.

Long lifespan / minimal health ailments

Medium size.
I'm thinking medium sized dog would be perfect. But if it's a slightly large, or slighty small, no problem.

My dream dog - rottweiler. However, people are very intimidated by them even though I would try to raise my dog to be a friendly dog. So my next best guess would be a labrador retriever.

Would appreciate any help. Thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think this quiz really works. I give me a schnoodle. I want something larger than that and isn't that hairy. LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Wolverine and welcome to the dog forum! Well, your in the right place I would recommend this web site:
Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI

I like this site because it lists tons of different breeds, their origins, size, medical issues in relation to the breed, and temperment.

Have you thought about a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? They are a medeium size dog and sounds like it would fit what you are looking for. There is also the Flat Coated Retiever or a Poodle would fit as well.

Also, if you can't find what your are looking for in a shelter, you can always contact a breed rescue.
Also, as far as shedding goes, IMO long or short hair does not really matter. I have short haired dogs that shed worse then the long haired ones! No matter the breed, grooming is essential and a great way to bond with your dog.

You will also want to enroll in obidience classes no matter the age of the dog. You will want to start at the beginning level. For both your education and the dogs.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out! Please keep us posted as to what breed you decide on and when you get him or her. Dont hesitate to ask as many questions as you want. We'd be glad to help you out.
Best of luck in finding your new pupster!
Cheers
GG

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found this web site quite useful when I was deciding what breed of dog is right for me. It has info for different breeds. If you are planning on a mixed breed, you can read about its parents' breeds separately. www.dogbreedinfo.comhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com

Since you mentioned adopting from a shelter, do you know about www.petfinder.com? Often you can learn a lot about the dog from the foster mom/dad, whether its active or quiet, house broken or not, friendly with cats/kids, etc.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think this quiz really works. I give me a schnoodle. I want something larger than that and isn't that hairy. LOL
I know how you feel. It gave me Boston Terriers and stuff and I'm a big dog type of person like Rottweilers, Great Danes, German Shepherds, and Dobermans! lol But it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a not on labs since you mentioned them--are you looking for a short coat sue to ease of grooming or due to shedding?

If it's ease of grooming then labs are quite easy to groom, but if it is due to shedding then I'll just tell you that labs shed quite a bit. They are double coated, not short haired like a boxer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As for what you are wanting, I wouldn't recommend a lab for an apartment dog if you don't have a yard. Also, it depends on how athletic you are as to the dog. How much do you plan to do with the dog? For a shorter hair dog, I would recommend an Australian Cattle Dog, they can be great family dogs, but tend to be a bit more protective. Border Collies can be extremely friendly, but you would need to get out a lot. I would recommend a BC or BC mix if you plan on doing lots of things with the dog. With having a BC, my Nell would do great in an apartment, as long as we were able to get out lots. And she's just a lovebug. I personally would pick a BC over a lab. And my Nell sheds very little. I brush her now and then, and don't get a lot of hair in the brush either. BC's are very athletic, my Nell loves the water and loves fetching sticks that are thrown out in the river here, she is a frisbee freak as well, very easy to train and is extremely intelligent, most are very people oriented and loves their person, mine is minimal shedding but not sure on the longer haired ones, have a good lifespan, and is a medium-sized breed around 40lbs.

Another good dog would be a boxer. I know someone that has boxers, and they are great dogs. And very short hair.

·
Banned
111 Posts
We have an excellent fit for your lifestyle in a hybrid dog we breed. Its called a "Chatham Hill Retriever". It is recognized by the Designer Dog Kennel Club and the American Hybrid Kennel Club. And it is listed on DOGBREEDINFO.com.

Or check out our site Home Page

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the help everyone.

Wanted to ask -- what do you think of these breads?

karelian bear dogs, dalmatians, german shorthaired pointers, pitbulls, rottweilers, english bulldogs, and boxers?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I definitely would stay away from Dalmations for your setting.

The rottie and boxer I think could do good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Out of the breeds you listed: German Shorthaird Pointer and English Bulldog and a maybe the Boxer.

Pits and Rotties are great, but you might have trouble with renting with one was we as homeowners insurance.

Dalmation and Karelian's nope-Dals have to many health issues and from reading about the Karelian-you will need to be very dominant and it will need intense socialization.

Have you thought about a Corgi? Or Queensland Healer? Or Tibetian Terrier-their hypo allergenic...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have you thought about a Corgi? Or Queensland Healer? Or Tibetian Terrier-their hypo allergenic...
Corgi could do very well as well. As for the Australian Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler, Red Heeler, Queensland Heeler), they are all the same dog, just different coloring. They are a very intense dog as well, as my Betty is real intense. And definitely needs a lot of exercise. As well as being extremely protective, you would definitely need lots of socializing, and they tend to do better in a one dog family. I don't know much about Terriers other than I dog walk a Cairn Terrier, and he's just a doll. Cairn's would do well as well, but they are a little smaller.

·
Registered
79 Posts
GSP's (German Shorthaired Pointers) are awesome dogs! Check out this website to learn more about them: GSPCA German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America

Boxers are the best! Check out this website: American Boxer Club

A breed you may really want to consider is the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. They are more rare, but are terrific dogs. Go here to check them out:
American Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Association: Official AKC National Parent Club for Purebred Wirehaired Pointing Griffons

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think an English Bulldog would be good for what you're wanting. They have a low energy level, physically can't swim and overheat VERY easily. Out of the breeds you listed I would say the German shorthaired pointer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.