Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once and awhile there are those day's were its just not going to happen playing outside with your dog. Weather its because of rain, to icy/slippery, to much snow ect. I had one of those days today, and it seems Sawyer wasn't satisfied playing in the house as much as he usually is when we cant go outside. So he sprinted from one end of the house to the other, skidding every where and going nuts with his toys :eyeroll:. So I gave in and grabbed my rain coat, hooked him up to the long lead and went out in the dark, in the cold rain. While he very much enjoyed the outdoor run time, I on the other hand didn't enjoy the cold wetness quite as much lol.
Anyway's that got me thinking, what are some of the things your dog does when they're board or didn't get enough excersise?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
After Lila's OSS she was the bother monster. Would not leave me alone, not because she was in pain, just because she was bored! I had the sofa turned around so she couldn't jump on it and a big rolled up rug in front of the bed so she had to step up gently, otherwise she would have bounced off the furniture like a super ball. She ran back and forth in the tiny apartment hallway a lot. She also played tug so hard my recliner (with me in it) got turned around. Tried to keep her quiet and was somewhat unsuccessful. You can't stop Lila, you can only hope to contain her :p

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hours of zoomies, chewing up plastic anything, jumping on me (or trying to) and biting my shoes when I try and walk. Escaping outside without permission. (Very luckily he stays close to me out of preference. Yesterday I lost sight of him and had a minor heart attack only to see him run back through the house's open door looking for me, similarly concerned.)

I'm on a project that's behind schedule for deployment at work, so I've been doing a lot of overtime and between the weather and my exhaustion this has been a huge issue for us lately. To give him credit, he's actually handling it pretty well over all, poor guy.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mine aren't that bad, but they rarely have those days. On the occasion when it's crazy storming or whatnot and we can't get out they'll become more involved than usual when playing with their toys. Sometimes they'll become more destructive with them, and rip the stuffing out of stuffed toys. If it's really bad then they'll occasionally run and pounce at the door as though it'll make me remember to take them somewhere :rolleyes: If I have to crate them during that time they're more likely to get whiney about it, but chewies and the radio usually quiet them down pretty quickly.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It rains here a LOT, tropical-storm level. That means there are lots of indoor days, most especially during Summer/Autumn. There are usually zoomies. Zoomies that start whenever I make even the smallest twitch--like turning the page of a book. I laugh at myself because sometimes I'll just put the tv on and sit still as a rock so that I give the dogs nothing to feed off of.

Trash raiding is common for some when bored *coughQuenyacough*. Skipper will find random weird things in dark corners to attempt to eat. Victoria....well honestly she's happy to sleep (unless I move). Lots of play between the dogs, which is one of the reasons I love having multiples. On those indoor days it honestly helps us. I toss out a new tug and they play-fight over it for at least an hour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When she was bored, Lexi tore all of the broken squeakers out of her toy... And then when we went into the pet store she tried to steal a replica of it LOL. Other than that, she has something about sleeping on the beds... She is fine with a blanket on the floor but she has chewed through no less than three dog beds (one of which was marketed as unchewable). I think that had more to do with the stuffing than anything though

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
He starts out by sleeping, but once his little battery is full recharged, he'll lay there staring at me and making the most pitiful noises till I acknowledge him and ask what's the matter, then he'll bring me a toy and start pestering me. Once he gets me to play with him he likes to play chase, he'll run from room to room with me chasing him, or me sitting there pretending I'm gonna get him. If he's really bored and under exercised his reactivity is worse and it's harder for me to get him to stop barking at people he hears or sees.

Darn I hear him, he's sensed that I want to read a book..... To him that equals Lets Pester Mom To Play time...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jayne rarely has those days, not because I'm good at keeping up with exercise and training, but because she's lazy. :D When she does, however, she goes up to my bed and starts throwing the covers around and if I try to stop her she gets the zoomies and runs around.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Buster just lays down and sleeps, he'll pester us with a toy for a while then just sleep most of the day. Very blessed that he's never destroyed anything the entire time he's been with us :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Imagine nuclear powered zoomies , things shredded all over the floor, small spotted dog literally doing flips and backflips off the furniture.

Mia and Summer mostly sleep and chew some chews and snuggle.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
- Synchronized staring at the human who is ignoring you
- drama llama it up (whine up constantly, pace up and down the hallway, dramatically fling yourself into a down at the human's feet with a sigh)
- find random objects and bring them to the human. (potatoes usually even though I practically never have potatoes in my house. Though knives are guaranteed to get a reaction/attention)
- pull all the covers off the bed
- tear the house apart to bring all the balls together in one room
- Boxturns off the walls and furniture
- open all the drawers in the kitchen and see what you can find
- find something shiny, drag it to a window with sun, then start smacking it around so a light reflection jumps
- find the stinkiest tug you can then try to shove it into the mouth or ear of the human that is ignoring you
- find the huge jolly ball, drag it up on top of the chesterfield back then throw it as hard as you can (preferably at the head of the human that is ignoring you)
- hide in the bookshelf then jump out at anything that walks by (or just climb the bookshelves for fun)
- swim in the fish tank
- attempt to drag a bag of flour or bird seed up onto the bed to shred

Moral of the story is don't let the dogs in my house become bored.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an extremely lazy dog, if she doesn't have a ton of outside time, she's totally ok with it and just spends most of the day sleeping.
If she is really bored though, she will terrorize the cat, that is a past time of hers, chasing him up and down the stairs and then crying when he's too high to reach.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Colby will sleep most of the time. But other times he will bark nonstop until I get up and see what he wants. He usually just wants a treat, LOL. :D
When Dolly is bored, she will not leave me alone! She will jump up onto my computer chair, and proceed to bark and growl at me until I pay attention to her.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Bernie is lazy. He used to be more medium energy, but now that he is a bit older he really likes to sleep and cuddle in my lap. So he doesn't get bored as easily. When he does he will stare at me, wiggling and wagging, until I acknowledge him, if I so much as look at him he barks at me until I go play.

Archer gets bored quickly. He enjoys attention (only on his terms, though, this is vital to him liking a person) and will stare at me when he's bored.

If staring doesn't work he will:
bring me a toy
howl at me
punch me
climb on the back of the couch and hover over me like a weirdo
"attack" Bernie (play)
get the zoomies, and fling himself over the couch, over my head, sometimes miss and step on my face.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Meagan would probably self-combust if she didn't get enough exercise every day.

Everyone else just lays around on their beds and chews on a bone, naps, or watches television.

Meggie is really the oddball in our family as everyone else tends towards couch potatoness.

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
So I have gone out of my way to "selectively train" for calm behaviors. I'm not in the camp of "a tired dog is a good dog" and my motto is "a trained dog is a good dog." I spent months capturing calmness in both of my dogs and they get the best goodies when they choose to settle on their own.

That being said, they are not always settling or lazing about. They do roughhouse and play and Zoe does have a mischievous streak but it's mostly all in good fun. Phoenix is the most energetic of the two and she is really good about entertaining herself with the many toys they have. I also take them on as many off leash hikes as possible whenever the weather isn't too horrible.

They don't get into stuff, the worst thing that's ever been chewed up was a remote control and it was both my husband and my fault. I had been training Zoe to retrieve it and she thought it was her toy and my husband left it on the floor, she got a hold of it while I was showering. That was 3 years ago!

I do my best to always set my dogs up to win with management and training. If it's bad weather and I can't get them out in it, we do puzzle toys and training sessions. We play fetch and find the toy inside. They play with each other and at least one of our cats will play, too.

I have had one incident where I knew Zoe was bored, it had been a week straight of endless pouring rain and I hadn't been feeling well either, finally there was a nice break in the weather and Zoe came up to me and put her head on my knee and I knew she was asking me to go to the park and we did.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Auggie and Phoenix sleep.

Nola - Barks and barks and barks. At everything. Gets into stuff, mainly the food cabinets or pushes the chairs to the counter to surf. Picks on the other dogs, and generally becomes a bossy little she-devil (well, more than she normally is). Oh, and she gets majorly mouthy. So does Olivia, come to think of it. Launches herself off furniture and gives me a heart attack. Humps.

Pike - Paces. Is even more obnoxious with attention seeking. Whines. Paces some more. He handles it the worst, and I'm not sure if it's because of his age and breed (almost 11 month old working bred herder), or because he's currently my highest energy and gets the most outlet.

Olivia - Chews anything and everything. Pesters the other dogs. Stares at the chickens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts