Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question Joanne :) Well, I was told my little girl Molly is 100% a French Bulldog but she doesn't really look like a thoroughbred at times. Just something about her facial features and size as she is a bit larger than most French Bulldogs that I've seen. Her face isn't as flat as other French Bulldogs and she breathes so nicely thankfully. The vet today said that she thinks she could be a mixed breed and I think it's possible. She didn't come with papers and it really isn't a big deal to me

· Administrator
1,917 Posts
Good question Joanne :) Well, I was told my little girl Molly is 100% a French Bulldog but she doesn't really look like a thoroughbred at times. Just something about her facial features and size as she is a bit larger than most French Bulldogs that I've seen. Her face isn't as flat as other French Bulldogs and she breathes so nicely thankfully. The vet today said that she thinks she could be a mixed breed and I think it's possible. She didn't come with papers and it really isn't a big deal to me
It’s no coincidence that she breathes easier than other French Bulldogs. It’s directly related to the fact that she actually has a bit of a muzzle. It’s a good thing. :)

Just a little niggle, but horses are thoroughbreds. Dogs are pedigree.
I would think boston terrier mix with bulldog, it has the head shape of the boston but the body of the bulldog mix. Just my guess
As OP is in the UK, I’d say, if the dog’s a mix at all, it’ll be a staffy.

· Registered
114 Posts
Definitely looks like a French bulldog but some things about the face and chest say Staffordshire terrier. (The body made me think bulldog, but the face would be different if that were so).

I've heard that some breeders are trying to make it where the brachycephalic (peke face, flat face, whatever works for you) dogs have a little more of a muzzle so they have less breathing issues.

They do that by either mixing similar breeds (fastest way. And am staffs are very close to frinchies) or by slowly breeding dogs of the same breed but only ones that have longer muzzles. (Takes way longer and would be harder to find flat faced breeds full blooded with that face type).
I'm glad they're doing this though because brachycephalic dogs can have an assortment of issues including but not limited to, tiny nostrils and the palate (roof of mouth) is way too long for the dogs mouth and ends up extending down the throat and not only allows less oxygen in, it can sometimes move and entirely cut off the airway. Both mean they get less oxygen in and have a harder time cooling off when they pant. So not only can they not breathe well, it's common for them to overheat in warmer months.

Be very happy your baby may have something else in her so she can breathe better. She is beautiful too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts