Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hatchi's mostly American Eskimo, I was told that his adult fur - which I'm not sure he has yet - should be self-cleaning. What does that mean? If he goes in a pile of mud & shakes, he'll be white again or that he doesn,t smell & his fur will shed dust?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yeah, it means someone told you something silly. ;)

Although, I have to say, the dirt falls off my dogs quite well... usually of course, all over the carpet and furniture. They might be self cleaning, but my house is not! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hatchi's mostly American Eskimo, I was told that his adult fur - which I'm not sure he has yet - should be self-cleaning. What does that mean? If he goes in a pile of mud & shakes, he'll be white again or that he doesn,t smell & his fur will shed dust?
Yeah, it means someone told you something silly. ;)

Although, I have to say, the dirt falls off my dogs quite well... usually of course, all over the carpet and furniture. They might be self cleaning, but my house is not! :)
To some extent, yes, it means that a good portion of dried mud will fall off his coat when he shakes, all over the floors and furniture, as Tess said, :D but that definitely does not mean that his coat does not require regular grooming.

So, if he goes into mud, dries off and shakes, he won't be white again, but light grey - you need to brush him to bring him back to white ;)
Also, with regular, deep brushing, yes, he should NOT smell. If you bury your nose in his coat the smell should be the same as what you'll get when you sniff a wool sweater; anything else is a sure sign that he needs a thorough brushing to remove the dead undercoat.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
according to this they need to be groomed like any other dog with long fur. As a groomer A white dog needs more grooming than any other.
How to Groom an American Eskimo Dog | eHow.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Rotties never needed bathing, they didn't smell and their coats were immaculate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts