Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello eveyone,

My name is Angelica and I adopted Ethel last week. They told me she was a stray, she is a Terrier Mix, and about 1 year and 4 months (Adult)

Everyday is a different day here..I'm learning the good (shes an awesome guard dog) and the bad (she throws tantrums if she doesn't get her way-flops down and breaths heavily like a child lol; and pee on my carpet when she's mad-even though she has been going on the potty pads a few times and knows not to go on the carpet smh).
I'm trying to stay patient though, she's incredibly smart, loving, and a joy to our home. When I take her for a walk, she's afraid of walking by people at times, or barks on other occasions at other people (even my bf lol). I have to pull her along and she plants her self. Trying to work on this Alpha thing of letting her know who's really boss around here lol, and work on hopefully getting her to get over her fear. I will never know what she's gone through previously before she was taken to the adoption center.

I plan on getting her some training soon though. I know she's still getting used to her surroundings.

I would like to ask, what do you guys think she is mixed with?
Some people have called her a puppy, and the adoption center calls her an adult. Is 1 yr and 4 months really considered an adult for a terrier?

So many questions, so many things to learn about her...I guess this is a start...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
1 year and four months is fully mature, but MIGHT still be considered a "Teen". She looks like a Miniature Pinscher mix to me, but maybe some Jack Russel as well.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I am seeing Manchester Terrier in there, she is a terrier mix for sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Welcome, Angelica! Congrats on your new buddy. :)

I would like to recommend a wonderful article and a book, both by Patricia McConnell:

Three Ways to Confuse a New Dog

The article will give you some perspective on how long it can take a rescue dog to settle into his new home, and the book contains a lot of great tips and is very easy to read.

So, is this your first dog? I found this site the same way you did. I brought home a rescue dog a couple of years and had lots and lots of questions. And, being a member of this forum has been such an awesome experience that I've never left. :)

I do want to add something about the whole "alpha" construct. It's really a failed model, and I hope that you don't try to establish "dominance" over your dog. There are much, much better ways to interact and train your dog. The best advice I got when I joined this forum was to turn off Cesar Milan and instead learn about positive reinforcement training. It was really the best advice ever. Here's a great article that explains the fallacy of the "alpha" theory.

The Myth of the Alpha Dog | Dr. Karen Becker

We'd love to share more with you about positive reinforcement training. A great place to get a taste of it is by watching the youtube videos of a trainer affectionately known as kikopup. Here's one to get you started. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw

Again, welcome and congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will keep them in mind, and keep researching! I know I will have more questions down the line..and will add more to this thread instead of wasting space and making another redundant one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts