Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to start a new thread for this, but I was given the advice to CC in regards to crate and leash training. What does CC mean? Thanks

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
CC is short for counter-conditioning: conditioning a dog against their negative, undesired attitudes about a particular thing using positive reinforcement. For instance, if your dog is afraid of bikes (which does happen!), you may want to spend time feeding them treats and rewarding them around bikes until the presence of the bike (because of the positive association of the bike with food) evokes feelings of happiness and eagerness from the dog rather than fear and aggression.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, counter-conditioning to the crate is pretty straightforward--feed all the meals in the crate, give him a treat in the crate and slowly start closing the door for longer and longer periods. Never let him get uncomfortable and feel trapped in the crate. If you explain what problems you are having with the leash training, we could give you some ideas how to deal with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My puppy completely freaks out when on leash; he bites, rolls around, and jumps. I have gotten bitten pretty hard several times. I tried using a harness, but the same thing happens.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
If puppies are not used to the leash sometimes very, very, very small steps need to be taken, like starting with something light (a yarn) tied to their collar, getting them used to liking the leash in your hand (not clipped to them), dragging it across their neck, down their back, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.