Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab has dog breath. I feed her pretty good food, 4 health grain free, so its not that. So i was just wondering what everyone uses for their dogs to help with bad breath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
Raw fed, they don't have bad breath.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If your dog's breath is bad, you might have your dentist check and make sure there's no tartar build up...or bad teeth. It might be your dog needs his teeth cleaned.

I've had both small and large dogs in my life and found that the smaller dogs almost always had to have dental cleaning done more often than the bigger dogs, even though I fed dry dog food to all of them. I also would give them crunchy things like milkbone type treats...and bones to gnaw on.

Right now, HaHa and Jaya are nearing 'middle age' HaHa's hitting 5 years old this year and Jaya's probably about 8 years old now. Both of them still have good breath but then they also get bones to chew on and HaHa often has toys he that plays with, everything from stuffed animals to braided rope, vinyl squeaky toys and hard rubber kongs. I think they help too in keeping his teeth clean.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I never noticed him smelling except when he'd wallowed in nasty stuff or we were swimming. ^^"
we feed him normal dry food (medium quality), cooked vegetables, potatoes/rice/noodles, raw carots and apples and sometimes raw bone.
his mouth smells pretty normal, I guess, and his teeth look healthy (we check them regularly).

·
Registered
95 Posts
My lab has dog breath. I feed her pretty good food, 4 health grain free, so its not that. So i was just wondering what everyone uses for their dogs to help with bad breath.

Mine too!!!!
And a very fishy breath!!
He eats quality food (magnusson) and gets quality snacks! His teeth are in perfect shape!

Maybe it's a lab thing, hahaha :D

Love!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine too!!!!
And a very fishy breath!!
He eats quality food (magnusson) and gets quality snacks! His teeth are in perfect shape!

Maybe it's a lab thing, hahaha :D

Love!
Im pretty sure fishy breath is a symptom of a medical condition, something with the anal glands. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. But my labs breath is not fishy lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
If a dog has bad breath there's probably something wrong with his teeth or he's been meddling with something he shouldn't have.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Bad breath is not the norm for a healthy dog. Could be caused by dental problems, gastric issues, lung infection, or any number of other possibilities. I would get your Vets opinion on possible causes and remedial actions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fees my dog grain free large breed from tractor supply. And it smells like morning breath from a human...but in my dog lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feed VeRus dog food and mine don't have doggy breath. I used to feed 4Health and they did have funky breath - especially the little one. (Morning doggy breath is the WORST!) But when I switched food that went away. VeRus sends free samples, too. Verus Pet Foods - Home

·
Registered
12 Posts
P.S. When I was a kid, my sister had a doxie male. His breath was HORRENDOUS! Then he started getting sick. When she took him to the vet they said his teeth were so dirty the plaque, etc., were poisoning him. They cleaned hi teeth then she had to try to start brushing his teeth daily. It was not a fun time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been trying different diets on my lab mix...While I was in the process of changing I had noticed that she had bad breath as well. Found out it was the kibble that was killing her breath and now I started using a combo of a grain free kibble that is called Canidade Grain Free Recipe with Real Lamb and also I give my Daisy 1 Greenie a day.

She really enjoys the Greenie and it is something that is able to keep her mouth clean and breath smelling fresh...

I hope that this helps you...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you asked your vet about this? Could be a whole bunch of possible reasons causing the bad breath.. you could always try getting your dog's teeth brushed but if there is a really foul odour you should get it checked out.. as you never know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts