Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. So i'm new here.. but I was wanting input as to what my dogs breed might be. He was picked up off the street as a puppy and was given to me by my cousin when he was around 4-5 weeks old.

Characteristics:
1. He barks/howls like a Beagle
2. He is medium sized, black & tan with white on his chest and paws and some small portions of white on his muzzle.
3. He has a naturally docked tail (AKA bob tail) (we know this because one of my female dogs recently had pups by him and he passed on his bob tail to 4/5 of their puppies.)
4. He has a slick coat of fur but it isn't short or long, it's in between.
5. Has Beagle or Lab shaped floppy ears that sit high on his head.
6. He has plenty of energy and enjoys fetching sticks / toys or just running and jumping around the yard with me.

Boss as a younger pup:

Boss as a more mature pup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I definitely see beagle - the ears are a huge sign. its always harder to tell with puppies. Wait til he is about 8-9 months old and take a photo of him standing up and it will be a little easier but for now there is definitely beagle there..

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depending on his size it could be some rottweiler or pit bull but looks like he got the majority of the beagle genes. A rottweiler would explain the coat color a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I definitely see beagle - the ears are a huge sign. its always harder to tell with puppies. Wait til he is about 8-9 months old and take a photo of him standing up and it will be a little easier but for now there is definitely beagle there..
He's actually about 1 year old now.. He still looks the same, just a tad bit bigger but I will see about getting a standing pic asap and thanks for your opinions so far! Beagle has definitely got to be one of the breeds he is mixed with... but I still wonder what else he could be and where he got the bob tail gene from. xD My dad suggested that he may be mixed with a Cur..

·
Registered
547 Posts
I disagree with the Rottweiler suggestion. I've seen dogs that were known without a doubt not to have any Rottweiler with those exact same markings.

Dachshunds can be marked like that, but Boss doesn't have the body type for it. Not sure really. He is a real cutie though!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Beagle and one of the smaller Swiss breeds(going by markings)...maybe, I know they aren't common but you never know ;)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
looks like a hound mix to me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My google search lead me to "jagterrier"
They have a short tail, same colors, maybe if you cross one of those with a beagle

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Depending on his size it could be some rottweiler or pit bull but looks like he got the majority of the beagle genes. A rottweiler would explain the coat color a bit.
The markings don't look like Rotti at all and both Rottweiler and Pitbull are molossoid breed, most time when there's some dog mixed with brachycephalic breeds, their head and muzzle is formed a bit broader too.
I've seen beagle/Dackel mixe looking very similar.
So I'd say it's a hound mix, perhaps with a bit if herder.

My google search lead me to "jagterrier"
They have a short tail, same colors, maybe if you cross one of those with a beagle
you mean probably Jagdterrier. could fit, but depending on were you live they're pretty rare.
there are also other hunting breeds that can come in tricolor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could be tons of stuff really. Dexter looks 100% kelpie. He's solid black. One of his parents was a cattle dog and only one in the litter had different marking and she looked like a collie or Aussie shepherd mix with blue eyes

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's one of the less common, "Cat Loving" breed, that are found throughout North America. They are highly in demand.

Seriously, I think the ears are Dachshund. The face is leaning that way. Just a guess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks bunches for more suggestions on what he could be.. I've never heard of a Jagdterrier before, interesting breed name and cute.

I also was able to get one of his side and some other pics..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.