Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious... I have two different DNA tests (one is shelter's, other mine), both of which I am skeptical of. Everyone who comments on the picture I keep of her on my desk at work thinks she's 100% pittie.

One test says:
Hugely dominant Norwegian Elkhound
Boxer
Great Dane
ST. Bernard

The other says:
Hugely dominant Staffordshire bull terrier
Bull Terrier
Rottweiler

I love her to death, but I am super paranoid about being lied to or swindled -_-

Thank you in advance you wonderful people, and happy 4th of July to the Americans

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The second one sounds much more plausible. She's deffinitly mostly staffy or pittie. I would say a mix since she's abit leaner in the face and body. I don't really see bull terrier or rottie, but you never know. I would say deffinitly most likely no Norwegian Elkhound at all though. The dna tests aren't really going to completely 100% accurate, but again id have to say the second one sounds much more likely then the first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second one sounds much more plausible. She's deffinitly mostly staffy or pittie. I would say a mix since she's abit leaner in the face and body. I don't really see bull terrier or rottie, but you never know. I would say deffinitly most likely no Norwegian Elkhound at all though. The dna tests aren't really going to completely 100% accurate, but again id have to say the second one sounds much more likely then the first.
What throws me off though is that she's tall, 45lbs and VERY lean. If it was the second one, I would figure she would have to be much more stockier and have a rather unusual shaped snout. Her color and general appearance says pittie, but to me that's the only similarities. On the other side I think she would have to be a lot fuzzier if it was the first.

The first one was the shelter's test, which I only have a screenshot of. Problem with that, beside the obvious, was the shelter she came from was accused of by the city of falsifying vet records and hiding information about their dogs after a heartbreaking incident involving a pittie being unlawfully put down. The other was DNA My Dog, which I am now realising that people are getting different results when they do it twice or after disputing them with customer support. Pretty much why I don't trust either.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Genetics are a funny thing, even if the second one was completely correct that doesn't always mean features will always be abundant from any breed in the mix. Sometimes you wont see them at all.
If people ask I think the best most plausible bet is to just go with pittbull (or staffie) mix.
I agree if it was the first, I would expect to see her a lot bigger and most likely somewhat if not very fluffy.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't trust those DNA tests. From the looks, I would agree pit, staff, or a cross of the two. I don't see anything else. Coming from a shelter, she could be purebred either one and just not the best breeding, which may explain why she's not exact to the breed as far as her conformation goes. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't trust DNA tests at all. My friend bought one to see how reliable it was. He used it on his purebred Irish setter. It said it was a GSD/boxer/chow chow/chihuahua mix.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so sure about those tests. We were told Yoki is 50% golden retriever, 25% airdale terrier and 25% Irish setter. The vet that chipped her as a puppy said she's 50% cane corso & 50% black lab. Who knows!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@firefox497, I noticed you have not come back to this thread. If you feel offended by anything I have said, I apologize, it was not my intention.
Heavens no, far from it? just been busy with life and playing with my little maniac.
There is truth in what you said. Looking at the process of testing, it seems like a valid field of testing. It just suffers the pitfalls of being an unregulated industry. The general consensus seems to be the unreliable testers usually have a limited genetics database to compare samples to, orrrr they have lazy dishonest people just looking for fast cash. Reliable or not, if I have a test with my dog's name on it that doesn't show pitbull mix: our lives will be a little easier. If not, I guess I'll just end up being a rather surprised pit bull advocate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts