Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here and wanted to kind of introduce myself and ask what everyone thinks on what kind of dog this is? Currently my family and I have an Australian Shepard mix but we were very interested in adopting this puppy and adding her to our new home.

We live in NY, USA.

Thank you,

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think she will be aggressive? With my current dog or cat and/or other dogs and people? The adoption center says she's a hound/lab mix with no pit bull but you never know.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do you think she will be aggressive? With my current dog or cat and/or other dogs and people? The adoption center says she's a hound/lab mix with no pit bull but you never know.
It's pretty hard to foretell something like that. Much depends on her past experiences, with some input from her genetic makeup.

Anyway, to hopefully head off any issues, you can start teaching her impulse control now, and make her experiences around dogs, cats and people pleasant. Check out the training stickies here: Training and Behavior Stickies

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are pits and it mixes all up and down my road. I can tell you that each one is different, and their behaviors depend on their people.

For example...
One owner of several pits chains them up on short lines, and does not interact with them except to punish the. Those dogs are aggressive toward pedestrians, ad toward other dogs.

Another pit owner keeps their dog in the yard, but interacts with her and takes her for walks. The owner has kids, and the dog is loving toward people and was nice to my dogs when they met.

One more pt-mix owner keeps theirs in an outdoor kennel. The dog does not interact with other dogs, but is friendly toward people.

Long story short... it depends on what the dog was taught as a puppy, what the dog was exposed to as a puppy, and how you react when another person or dog approaches.

You have a gorgeous dog. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You can't tell if a dog will be aggressive just because of their breed. They can be more likely to be aggressive but you can't judge simply by breed. Breed specific dispositions also become more and more diluted with mutts like your dog.

And on Pit Bulls... don't get scared of that breed. Pit Bulls are some of the friendliest, sweetest dogs to people. They DO have a high propensity for aggression, but so do German Shepherds and Chihuahuas. No one's banning them! Also, "Pit Bull" is such a catch all term used by shelters for everything from Staffies, Am Staffs, Pits Bulls, American Bulldogs, and Boxer mixes. Many "Pit Bulls" are also just urban street dogs that may have those above bully breeds as well as other common breeds like Labs, Rottweilers, German Shepherds and more mixed in. So they typically shelter "Pit Bull" mixes have about 100 times more bloodlines, temperaments and personality traits mixed into it than breeds who have been genetically concentrated for hundreds of years--including the American Pit Bull Terrier. So basically, you will have a lot more variety in the personality and looks of a "Pit Bull" than any other breed in the country.

All in all judge your dog on what you see, or even get her evaluated by a trainer. Best of luck with your dog!

Reactions: calhoun5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thank you for all the feedback! I was told she was a Rhodesian Ridgeback x Lab mix and with no sign of pit bull mixed in her. But again she is a mix and could be anything. At this point in time it is hard to tell what exactly she is but she is sweet, gentle and cuddly. I am having her brought to my house tomorrow so she can meet my current Australian Shepard to see if they get along and bond!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Looks like your standard issue lab x pit to me. Looks like a nice dog!
Exactly what I was thinking. Lab/pit would definitely be my vote from these photos. Any breed of dog can have aggression issues, and there are great representatives of every breed out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts