Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm slowly beginning the process of crate training my nearly 1.5 year old neutered male lab/boxer/pit mix, Winston. Today I bought him a Kong, and just to introduce him to it today I tore up two slices of regular American cheese and stuffed them in there and kind of smeared some of it on the outside of the holes. He loves that cheese, and he's in his crate right now (door closed) happily working that Kong over. I don't like to give him a lot of cheese though, so I'm wondering about healthy stuff to stuff in the Kong? I've heard about freezing them stuffed with canned dog food, and I'll probably pick up a couple cans of high quality canned food just for that purpose. Any other ideas? Does anyone use the Kong brand stuff that comes in a squeeze can? For some reason that just seems like it might not be the healthiest option to me. Winston can have a sensitive stomach sometimes, so I don't want him to spend house consuming something that will ultimately make him sick.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Frozen wet canned food, non-sweetened apple sauce, oatmeal with banana and pumpkin, baby food (sans onion or garlic salt in it), kibble that has been soaked and blended in a food processor, "smoothies" (i.e.: strawberry with banana and low fat yogurt *without sweetner, make sure it's made with sugar), plain cheerios, boiled hamburger and rice, etc.

Reactions: Jeru

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually just put natural peanut butter in the Kong with a little bit of cheese. I like some of the ideas I am seeing here. His Kong could probably use a little more variety.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
@Esand I can't take credit for it, it was my vet. We had a stint where Tessa was on a food trial to rule out allergies that were causing her to break out in hives. She could only eat a novel protein - at the time it was a bison food that didn't have a corresponding wet food (needed to have exact same ingredients/inclusions) so she suggested I soak a portion of her kibble ration and blend it in the food processor. It's much more messy than simple canned but it works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the wet stuff: plain yogurt, unsweetended apple sauce, pumpkin puree, mashed banana. You can also drip water into it and freeze it

For the "filling": chopping up apples, zucchini, cucumber, celery, cheese, peppers (not the hot kind), carrot, kibble

I like to layer the filling and the wet and freeze. Sometime I hide a little peanut butter (1/2 tsp max, spread out) throughout the kong.

Lately our go to has been layers of mashed banana and kibble and apple.

I will try the soaked and blended kibble. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend will think I've gone off my rocker. My dog prefers a mixures of dry food sandwiched between something wet and frozen. She gets bored if it's just 1 big kong flavoured ice cube

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a really good brand of canned dog food and it takes one can to fill the five Kongs I have, all different sizes. I was using peanut butter but it is more fattening. I always do the five up and put them in the freezer so they are ready whenever I need them. The only thing I have to watch is that nobody sneaks one out the door as it will get lost in the snow.

·
Registered
261 Posts
chicken broth, cooked sweet potato, canned pumpkin, plain yogurt, peanut butter, boiled bits of meat, kibble mixed with canned food, treats, canned sardines, spinach, carrots, frozen berries, boiled liver, leftover white rice.

Basically I look at what I have and work with it. I like to combine new foods with sweet potato or pumpkin so he doesn't have a stomach issue with it. An chicken broth (homemade) helps in case the food is blandish.

So for example, the kongs he has on the freezer right now: The first one has a bit of peanut butter at the bottom. Then the middle is filled a mixture of kibble and canned food. And it's topped off with plain yogurt with dry training treats mixed in. The second one has peanut butter at the bottom, while the middle is a mix of white rice, chicken broth, and little bits of meat, also topped off with yogurt but with banana.

My puppy gets bored easily :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Raw meat. Chicken hearts, ground beef, ground tripe, chunks of pork/beef. Frozen if I want it to last, or semi frozen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I usually do Peanut Butter. Sometimes I stick treats in there and my dog likes to throw the Kong around until they all fall out :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the people that are saying peanut butter- do you fill the whole thing up with peanut butter? Or just smear it around the edges? The first option seems like a lot of peanut butter!

·
Registered
261 Posts
@Maiabean enough to plug the hole at the bottom. It's like "dessert" after he's finished the rest of his healthyish kong.

He can't eat that much peanut butter before getting disgusting gas and soft stools. Also I don't see a reason to indulge him that much. He likes healthy lower fat foods too.

I use Justin's Peanut Butter. It's a little pricy, but it's mostly for me and he only gets a little at a time anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts