Dog Forum banner

What do you feed your dog/s?

• A grocery store dry brand like Pedigree or Beneful.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Grocery store canned food--Cesar Milan's, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organic pet store dry food.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Organic pet store canned food.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High quality commercial foods--Call of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, etc.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Raw diet.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Homemade!

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • A variety of the above.

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Other--please specify

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Started Orijen a few weeks ago. Used to feed Fromm's grain-free lines. Seeming to prefer and do better on Orijen. Only downside is she needs to eat more (used to eat 2 1/4- 2 1/2 cups a day on Fromm, needs 2 1/2-2 3/4 on Orijen to maintain her weight. Only time I've ever had to feed more than what the bag recommends)
Posted via Mobile Device
Champion is one of the companies that tailors it's recommended feeding to the average amount a dog needs instead of the higher end.

I feed BARF. Usually I mix homemade myself, though sometimes I cheat and get premixed bricks.

When they are kenneled, I use Pulsar Salmon (only kibble that Tesla can manage) mostly because my kennel doesn't have enough space for a week of raw for four high performance dogs.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I really like the Horizon grain-free foods too.

I have mentioned this in other threads but is anyone becoming concerned by the nuclear contamination of Pacific fish and the impact this will have on dogs who regularly eat fish?

Between farming (which damages the environment and produces less healthy fish), PCBs, mercury, radiation and overfishing to the point of extinction, I'd personally like to minimize my and my dog's exposure to fish/seafood.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

I have mentioned this in other threads but is anyone becoming concerned by the nuclear contamination of Pacific fish and the impact this will have on dogs who regularly eat fish?

Between farming (which damages the environment and produces less healthy fish), PCBs, mercury, radiation and overfishing to the point of extinction, I'd personally like to minimize my and my dog's exposure to fish/seafood.
No. you get the same amount of radiation from cell phones than the so-called nuclear contamination from Fukushima (in the rest of the world, not near Fukushima itself). Anti-nuclear groups have been using some very shady fear-mongering tactics to further their own goals.

Pulsar specifically doesn't use factory farmed salmon. As for the overfishing and other problems, there are an issue. Unfortunately Tesla is extermely allergic to, well, pretty much any other protein source.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

I agree about the mercury. The FDA says no more than 8 oz a week for child then I think no more than 8 oz a week for a dog. I think if my dog was allergic to all other meat I would choose veggie food over the fish just because the symptoms of mercury poisoning would be very hard to diagnose in a dog.
In addition to the subtle impairments noted above, symptoms of methylmercury poisoning may include; impairment of the peripheral vision; disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, usually in the hands, feet, and around the mouth); lack of coordination of movements; impairment of speech, hearing, walking; and muscle weakness. People concerned about their exposure to methylmercury should consult their physician.
Health Effects | Mercury | US EPA

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
We've been feeding both the dogs and cats 4Health. They certainly like the taste, but I feel like it makes Erik and Eva gassy. May try Fromm after this bag's done.

Our kitten Korra prefers the taste of the dog kibble to the cat, though, so I may switch them over to something else too.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We've been feeding both the dogs and cats 4Health. They certainly like the taste, but I feel like it makes Erik and Eva gassy. May try Fromm after this bag's done.

Our kitten Korra prefers the taste of the dog kibble to the cat, though, so I may switch them over to something else too.
could be the meat my hound gets really gassy from chicken but is also affected mildly by sweet potato and oats. The zignature works well for him because it has no chicken or eggs in any of the formulas and no grains or potato.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I feed a combination. :)

Summer is on primarily kibble (acana regionals for now, also have been working through a bag of Petcurean Go! but she doesn't like it as much) with some freeze dried and dhydrated raw (Bravo, Stella and Chewy's, and Ziwipeak).

Mia is on primarily premade frozen raw (Stella and Chewy's), Ziwipeak, some real raw 1-2 times a week, dhydrated raw mostly for treats, and kibble a few times a week.

They both get occasional canned food (maybe 1 can a week split between them) as kong stuffers. I pick whatever is my fancy those days- usually one of the wellness or instinct 95% meat or whatever cans.

Confusing? lol I have a whole shelf that looks like it belongs in a pet store. :eek:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I should add my method of shopping is kind of ecclectic. I don't really plan these things out- just grab whatever looks appealing at the moment. My dogs have iron stomachs thankfully.

The reason Mia is on more raw than Summer is that Summer is so incredibly picky when it comes to food texture. Trying to entice her to eat anything mushy is very difficul (she doesn't eat canned well either). She will leave anything for kibble.

I also train a lot and my dogs are so tiny that we have limited calories to work with and raw is hard to train with. I use ziwipeak since it is a complete food. When I use hotdogs/etc they get fat. Well... Mia gets fat. :p

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Once I move I am getting a dog freezer. That will be exciting. :p

also, I can spell dehydrated. No idea why I mispelled it twice. I swear since I graduated college, my spelling has gotten worse and worse. And this computer has no spellcheck.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Home cooked. I'll be feeding either the Honest Kitchen or Orijen when I travel with her next year, but other than that it's exclusively home cooked for almost two years now.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tessa was on Taste of the Wild Pacific Puppy, but between the vet wanting us to switch to adult food post-spay how difficult it was finding a fresh bag of it, I've switched her to Acana Pacifica.

Eventually I'll be rotating to most of the other Orijen and Acana flavours and maybe a few of TOTW's if I can find them fresh and within a 30 min drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Premade raw puppy food- Natural Instinct puppy, with chicken. Leah is a bit of a fussy eater (won't eat in the morning) but is finally eating all her food now and looks well on raw, no nasty breath, good coat and no mushy poo! Plus because she is so little, she is very economical to feed!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts