Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Just came home from picking my daughter up at her grandparents, walked into the living room and well.. pictures speak for themselves.......
I rent Turner and Hooch............ Leather is a dead animal part, the dog just did what was natural, I have a pretty cool chewy shoe collection here, leather there too. I adopted a beagle mix once, and the vet at the shelter told me that the dog did that to it's owners couch and that this is why it was at the shelter as they had to give it up. I have a yard so never had that problem, some dogs do not belong inside.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Possible separation/isolation anxiety. Was you dog alone at the time? Pax is a perfect angel and I have zero concerns about him chewing anything that is not his...EXCEPT when he is alone. He turns into desctro dog when he is left alone.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Just came home from picking my daughter up at her grandparents, walked into the living room and well.. pictures speak for themselves.......
If you caught him in the act there might be a teachable moment but if not there is nothing you can do at this point except clean up the mess. Oh and don't leave him out of his kennel any more when you leave.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ouch! I've never had a dog do that kind of destruction all at once. Just tore the couch in small increments so I didn't notice right away ;)

As Dawn said, if you caught in the act you could have taught a lesson but since you've uploaded the pictures now it's obviously too late if you hadn't thought of that at the time.

I would think that it stems from boredom or SA. How much exercise does your doggie get? What breed is he?

I would suggest crating when you're gone for sure. If it's SA you need to do some heavy training and reinforcement that you'll be back and he doesn't need to throw a fit. If it's boredom you'll need to do some heavy exercising before you leave him alone.

Sorry about the couch! That's a bummer :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he is an Amstaff, 7 months old and yes it happens when we leave.

he will be back in his crate when we leave the house from now on.

Sad thing about the couch and love seat, they were 2 weeks old :(

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Could be a case of boredom or could be anxiety. Despite what someone else mentioned, dogs don't necessarily chew up leather furniture or shoes or other inappropriate stuff. I've had leather furniture for years and my dogs don't chew on it. They do sleep on it if I provide soft covers. :)

If the dog has some separation distress, get the book I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell. If he's ok in the crate, that's a good option. Sorry about your new furniture.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have to agree with @Gabby. This truely is anxiety from separation issue. Poor pup is showing frustration.
I would be still using the crate when leaving. It's not cruel, it's just being safe for the pup and your wallet as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How old is the dog? It may start as bordem or even teething but once they get into the cushion, well then it's play time. For some most dogs seem to LOVE pillow stuffings. They'll yank it out and then throw it up in the air and play with the pieces for hours.

·
Registered
876 Posts
..if I were in your position? I would laugh.

..because if I didn't laugh I'd cry. We had a dog eat a couch once. First it was chewing frustration, but then when the stuffing was found it became party time and instantly self-rewarding. Every couch cushion became a target after that, and we had to always crate when we left the house or come back to stuffing everywhere.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
danm ninjas! I'm sure your dog tried to stop them, but they were to sneaky for him. ;)

i'd put the dog in a room that is not full of things it can destroy.
usually after a few months or weeks of training being alone (please remebber being alone has to be trained with a dog) most dogs will be fine witout being confined.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts