Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm a long time die hard Thoroughbred racing fan. Watched my first Kentucky Derby on t.v, back in 1972, when Riva Ridge won it. A year later, from the same stable, the powerhouse and now legendary Secretariat came along and won the Triple, breaking a 25 year long drought from when Citation had won it.

My all time favorite race horse was Alydar. In the over one hundred years since those 3 races have been run, he was the only horse ever to finish 2nd in each race...and he did it behind a Triple Crown winner, Affirmed. So, if it hadn't been for Affirmed and him coming along in the same year, Alydar would have won the Triple. Then...the long long drought....37 years of no Triple Crown winners although a good number had a shot at it and failed in that last long grueling race.

So, if you think that dog looked excited, you should have seen me...LOL. When I saw American Pharoah drawing away, I started cheering and clapping my hands, and yes, I started to cry.

All of this, of course, upset Jaya and HaHa.

And HaHa, being HaHa, made me laugh.... his reaction toward my excited and crazy behavior, was to run and grab his favorite stuffed animal and look like he was ready to head for the exit door in case we need to evacuate the house...lol.

He had his toy packed and was ready to go! LOL I'm trying to see the end of race he's standing there on alert with that stuffed toy in mouth...lol...all excited...and a little afraid...looking at me like 'WHAT!?"

That video of of the poodle is great....loved it. I'll have to share it with all of my horse racing friends on the horse racing forums I belong to, I'm sure they will get a huge kick out of it. Thanks for sharing it.

Stormy

Reactions: 2spoos

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a long time die hard Thoroughbred racing fan. Watched my first Kentucky Derby on t.v, back in 1972, when Riva Ridge won it. A year later, from the same stable, the powerhouse and now legendary Secretariat came along and won the Triple, breaking a 25 year long drought from when Citation had won it.

My all time favorite race horse was Alydar. In the over one hundred years since those 3 races have been run, he was the only horse ever to finish 2nd in each race...and he did it behind a Triple Crown winner, Affirmed. So, if it hadn't been for Affirmed and him coming along in the same year, Alydar would have won the Triple. Then...the long long drought....37 years of no Triple Crown winners although a good number had a shot at it and failed in that last long grueling race.

So, if you think that dog looked excited, you should have seen me...LOL. When I saw American Pharoah drawing away, I started cheering and clapping my hands, and yes, I started to cry.

All of this, of course, upset Jaya and HaHa.

And HaHa, being HaHa, made me laugh.... his reaction toward my excited and crazy behavior, was to run and grab his favorite stuffed animal and look like he was ready to head for the exit door in case we need to evacuate the house...lol.

He had his toy packed and was ready to go! LOL I'm trying to see the end of race he's standing there on alert with that stuffed toy in mouth...lol...all excited...and a little afraid...looking at me like 'WHAT!?"

That video of of the poodle is great....loved it. I'll have to share it with all of my horse racing friends on the horse racing forums I belong to, I'm sure they will get a huge kick out of it. Thanks for sharing it.

Stormy
I know there was the same reaction from humans as that of my dog all over the world. It was great to see such a monumental accomplishment. It was funny how it looked like Sherlock was looking at the whole field at the beginning of the race trying to size up if there was going to be any comers from the backfield. And then when they turned that corner he spazzed on que.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is what one of my horse racing friends said about the video...lol. It made me laugh.
------------------------
quote RoMo:
. ... that video was funny .. he must have bet on American Pharoah .. as he seemed to relax as AP was pulling away ..? .. Then like me .. got "agitated again" when he realized Keen Ice was passing Mubtaahij .. and beating him out the tri and super .. lol ..
------------------------

For those that don't understand betting terms.
A 'tri' is a trifecta, a bet where one bets on 3 horses to finish in an exact order of for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spot.

A 'tri-box' is a trifecta bet that is 'boxed' which means you pay more money for the ticket, but your 3 horses can finish in any of those 3 spots...you don't have to worry about the exact order of finish.

A 'Super' is a superfecta ticket but one is look at 4 horses to finish in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots and a superfecta can also be 'boxed' -- a superbox.

So, yeah, according to one of my expert wagering friends, you dog does seem to have a problem with the end of that race...LOL.

Stormy

Reactions: kelly528

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol, feel sorry for those dogs)) I know that I'm playing devil's advocate right now with my profile photo, lol, on such a forum. However, I've recently remembered such a weird story from my childhood. My dad had been gambling ever sine I could remember him, we had a dog named Suse, she seemed to be as addicted to all those gambling things as her owner. they used to sit all day long gambling. She would watch him playing, my dad would lose money. Suse is already dead, but dad is still addicted. Nowadays, he has more chances to win at least. Hope, someday he will be a normal dad to me))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts