Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have category two hurricane winds outside. We took Askur out for potty just before the weather hit. He did both nr 1 and 2 but that was at 5 pm we wont be able to take him out again before bed, hopefully it will be good enough in the morning for a potty break. We have puppy pads i doubt he will use them, I think we will just have to clean up an accident :rolleyes:

Nothing else we can do.

what do you guys do in bad weather?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I still go out, but will shorten the distance sometimes, if it's really, really bad. In those instances I still like to do a mile or two, or I'll just go out in a field nearby and let him run. Not like there's anyone there to complain.

With the right gear, weather is rarely an issue beyond mild annoyance. Jack certainly doesn't care; he'll happily run around in a downpour and go swimming when it's way below freezing out.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Normally just right outside (near the door) for long enough to potty, assuming it's safe enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
state of emergency has been declared and the police have told everyone to stay inside, the main risk is debris in the wind. We are talking roofs of and trees coming up by the roots kind of weather.

We have put the puppy pads by the door to see whether he will go, he is starting to whine :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you have a word that you use? IF you don't then it is too late for me to suggest help now, but if you say "go potty" or something similar each time they pee, then when you need them to pee somewhere that they do not usually go, you can just say the word so they know it is ok to go there.

Last time we had a thunderstorm, I laid a pad down in the garage and told my dog to "go potty" she looked at me strangely, but then sniffed around, found the pad and went. I think some pads have smells that make them want to go there.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a word that you use? IF you don't then it is too late for me to suggest help now, but if you say "go potty" or something similar each time they pee, then when you need them to pee somewhere that they do not usually go, you can just say the word so they know it is ok to go there.

Last time we had a thunderstorm, I laid a pad down in the garage and told my dog to "go potty" she looked at me strangely, but then sniffed around, found the pad and went. I think some pads have smells that make them want to go there.
well we do have a word but I guess since he has been doing so well going potty outside we havent been reinforcing it lately. I took him to the pads tapped on it and said go potty, he looked so bewildered :rolleyes: looked at me like I was insane.

But the weather should calm down tomorrow. I think he will probably end up having an accident somewhere but he is so little it isnt hard to clean up. :thumbsup:

he never liked the puppy pads as puppy either :eyeroll: the potty training was only successful after we change to make him potty exclusively outside and stopped bothering with the pads.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would take my dog out, just by the door, even if people have been advised to stay indoors. If you've got to go, you've got to go. I would just wait for a lull in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
During really bad weather like heavy downpour, thunder storms, tropical storms, and hurricanes Zody hides so there's no way I can take him out to potty. I usually wait for him to come out of hiding during the first good break in the bad weather and then carry him outside to potty. Considering I know for a fact that he can hold it for 12 hours it's rare that I worry about him having an accident but if he were to do so I wouldn't care.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i know @BusterBCsMum is going through same storm desmond! really until the flooding clears all you can do is depending on severtity get them to go in backyard if safe or use pads / find good place for elimanting

·
Banned
6,350 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no I recently moved back to Iceland I just forgot to change it on here, we have storms here all the time but this one was particularly bad. Havent had a storm like this for 25 years. its still stormy but the worst was over around 2 am.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Fortunately we never have weather harsh enough to not go out.

But mine are all able to hold it for 12+ hours since the time they were 4 months old, with perhaps the current exception of my aging GSD who's bladder as not as competent as it once was. So I'd probably just wait it out.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't know I live in Central Europe... we don't have such bad weather that we can't go for a walk.
If the weather is wet and stormy, we stay out of forests (falling branches) and chose fitting cloths.
A German saying is "there's no bad weather, just unappropiate clothing".

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
no I recently moved back to Iceland I just forgot to change it on here, we have storms here all the time but this one was particularly bad. Havent had a storm like this for 25 years. its still stormy but the worst was over around 2 am.
Ah ok well Uk and iceland storms not good! glad the worst is over! have you been ok?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's scary. I'm sorry that is happening.

Honestly, I'd probably still go out. My dog would never use a puppy pad and I think she would literally die before she peed inside. So I would run out quickly and let her relieve herself.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know I live in Central Europe... we don't have such bad weather that we can't go for a walk.
If the weather is wet and stormy, we stay out of forests (falling branches) and chose fitting cloths.
A German saying is "there's no bad weather, just unappropiate clothing".
We say that too in Iceland, we believe infants sleep best outside in a blizzard. However the storms here can be vicious plus avalanches, mud and rock slides, earthquakes and volcanoes. There are some forces of nature that you can´t argue with and the storm on monday the danger wasnt falling branches but trees coming up by the roots.

We had windows breaking, roofs coming off and one house (thankfully empty) actually blew away completely.

But because the warnings were so stern and people weren´t out and about there were no casualties or serious injuries.

He just had to wait til morning, no accident just a flood in the morning :p

If the weather had been longer we would have tried to take him out but we would have ended up with a yorkie-kite ;)

Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Its something of a problem for us. Samantha does not like rain. If its really necessary for her to go out, usually it means I have to go with her. Somehow, in her mind, I guess, its ok for her to get wet, if I do too, but not otherwise. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts