Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a behavior issue than a training issue. Some of you may have noticed my thread about my Dorje's separation anxiety.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/my-dogs-separation-anxiety-getting-worse-254170/

If you look at my last post, you'll see that the anxiety has appeared to have completely ceased after I stopped containing him in his crate when I left the home.

That said, I spent all day at home today with him - I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but I can sense his neediness growing again and I'm wondering if I'll have issues on Monday.

For example: Dorje has been crated since Day 1. Every single night, and during the day when I leave. He got to sleep with me in bed about four or five times total between the age of 9 weeks and 11 months. But every other night he's been crated while we slept. He's always seemed to love his crate when I'm at home.

Two weeks ago, I decided to start tranisitioning him off the crate. He still sleeps in it at night, but he's out and about during the day. When I leave the home, he gets to hang out in my bedroom.

Early Thursday morning, around 4am, he started thrashing in his crate and trying to get my attention. I figured he just got used to sleeping in my bed during the day and wanted to join me. I ignored him. Then I got worried that he was sick - I told him to go "down" and be quiet. When he did, I opened the door and started getting dressed to take him outside in case he had diarrhea. Instead he hopped into bed. I told him to get off. He went back inside his crate and promptly had diarrhea, ugh. That was only the fourth poop accident he's ever had in the house, but his stomach has been off lately. I cleaned it up.

Early this morning around 5, he did the same thing. Figuring he had diarrhea again, I immediately got up, told him to be quiet, and let him out to take him outside. But he jumped into bed and immediately went to sleep. I stayed up for awhile in case he got up and got sick, but he was fine. I let him sleep with me for two hours, and then put him back in his crate with no issues.

The crazy thing is that even though he's been crated every night and every day since the beginning and has always taken well to his crate when i'm home, he's having less and less tolerance for the crate even though I'm giving him more time out of it. It doesn't make sense to me that he suddenly doesn't want to spend the night there. He's always slept in his crate at night - I keep it four inches from my bed!

And really, he's just always clinging to me. Follows me from room to room. When he takes a nap on the couch next to me, he always has to have some body part touching me. Every time I shift and wiggle away, he wakes and puts a paw on me or a chin on my foot or something. When he has a bone, he has to come chew it on me and get bone-saliva juice all over my leg.

I might have to update the separation anxiety thread again soon. But even then, I just don't understand how to get him to be more independent. He's so clingy! I'm not suited for a dog this clingy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having problems again. Not sure if I can help but....

I had a period when one of my dogs watched my every move and wanted to be with me all the time. What helped me was a lot of pretend actions - such as when he jumped up to follow me, I simply went back to doing what I was doing before. Example - I was in the kitchen, then headed into the living room. The dog jumped out of bed, ran into the living room, settled down on the sofa, thinking that I was going to sit down there.

So I didn't go into the living room. He came back into the kitchen and as soon as he settled down, I would head for the living room again. He would run in front fo me, settled on the sofa, waiting for me. So I didn't go. I repeat this exercise and similar exercises at every opportunity, until he ignored my moves and waited for me to ask him to join me. I think this is desensetising to cues? Perhaps you might be able to identify cues and wean him off you so to speak?

Re crate at night - he's been allowed to sleep on your bed and he wants to continue. Wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Hm, not sure if I can help. My Aussie is my shadow, which is fairly usual for the breed. If I'm on the couch, he is either up with me, or on the floor near me. I get up to go to the bathroom, he follows me. With that being said, he is also fine to be left home alone, or to go into the crate if I'm working with Heidi.
My dog trainer always has her dogs (she has 5!) in their crates from 1-2 pm. Every day. She says that's when she drinks her coffee and chats with friends on the phone. Maybe your guy could benefit from some crate time while you're home?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chessa is super needy and it can be really aggravating. She gets up EVERY time I shift, trying to anticipate where I'll go next. If I'm in the living room, she goes to the door or my bedroom, if I'm in the bedroom she shoots to the door. When I actually walk in the bedroom though, she waits outside the door just in case I might be coming back out. So I have to tell her to come in and then shut the door, or she'll just stand in the doorway.

Half the time I'm just changing position or coming right back so it can be pretty annoying. I just taught her a good stay, and if I'm coming right back I tell her to stay so she doesn't follow me constantly. For the most part I've just had to get used to it because I don't think she'll ever stop wanting to be glued to my hip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Shandula Not sure if I made that clear in the initial post: I've actually always had him in the crate when I'm home, making sure to have the same crate schedule whether I'm home or not. I just started transitioning him off the crate this month, and only keeping him in there at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts