Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some of the things you guys do to make your classes more interesting and fun, what games do you play, how do you keep everyone's attention or keep them coming back for more. I am looking for some fun new things to add to my classes.
thanks-michele

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do clicker training. Haven't started teaching any classes yet, I want to do that one day so would also be interested in some tips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yes i like clicker training, dogs love it too since it is always a "constant" where as our voices change pitch the clicker sounds the same everytime, the important part is timing, making sure the click is at the exact moment the correct behavior is occurring, sorta like taking a picture you try and capture the exact moment something is happening (hope that made sense)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes timing is very important in clicker training. I enjoy using it very much and the animals love it. I want to start clicker training my bird, but I have no idea how to actually, not sure if it works the same as with dogs. Will have to do some research on that first.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Karen Pryors 101 Things to Do with a Box.

101 Things to Do with a Box | Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Also, like Kathy Sdao teaches, just sit with your dog and click behaviors. When you click one behavior, you check that off your list and do not click for it again. Keep the dog thinking, this get's the dog to start thinking and being creative. See how many different behaviors you can click and how creative your dog can get. Great to teach students in class as well. Also as Kathy states, the dog does get a little frustrated, but this frustration brings out the creativeness in the dog, and as long as it's only to the point where the dog continues to stay in the game, you are doing excellent. Also, you want lots of reinforcements as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts