Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post. We adopted a lovely pup 3 weeks ago, she had been abandoned on the side of a road so there isn't any info on her past and breed etc. They said Staffie X

Wondering if anyone here would have some idea as to what sort of a cross she could be?

She is around 9 months old, very sweet. She has quite long legs, loves to chase anything that moves, runs at a speed of lighting. She learns commands easily but is quite selective about obeying them, cheeky girl. Whenever she sees a dog, she wants to desperately run to them and play. Never barks at them or shows aggression. However, she tends to try to nip them on the top of the neck, between the ears...? Is that aggression? Looks like playing. That is with our friends dogs, I don't just randomly let her play with strangers yet.

When we first got her, her belly was white but now it has turned quite dark, is that normal?

Her coat is quite short but not smooth.

She is about 20kg now and she is very strong. She loves pulling her lead :-/

Any ideas?

I just realised I can't attach a photo? How can I do that?

Thank you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This link should help with the photos Dog Forum - FAQ at 20kg I would guess she's not got much growing left maybe to 24kg could be more depending on her growth rate. She's going to stay a medium sized dog. The stron pulling is probably the staff in her. I could tell you a little more if you can attach a photo or pm me one if you can't add one. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few pics! Hope it works.

Her nose is always on the ground, sniffing and following the footsteps. The other thing she does is hiding treats, bones and toys, either in the sofa, her bed or outside in the ground. Keeps digging too!

The problem right now is that she is mouthing and it hurts. We have a 6 year old child and she has done it to him too :-( trying to do the "Yelp and turn away and disengage" but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Her being so powerful and not knowing her history, it worries me.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She stalks all the time, like a cat, hasn't caught anything yet but I'm sure she will one day!

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
She really looks like a rhodesian ridgeback mix. They aren't a super common breed, but i'd say she definitely has some in her, at least half.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The problem right now is that she is mouthing and it hurts. We have a 6 year old child and she has done it to him too :-( trying to do the "Yelp and turn away and disengage" but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Her being so powerful and not knowing her history, it worries me.
For some dogs, the yelping actually can get them more excited, rather than getting them to stop. If you can, keep a chew toy on hand, and when she starts to mouth, switch her to the chew toy instead.

Reactions: SSG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She really looks like a rhodesian ridgeback mix. They aren't a super common breed, but i'd say she definitely has some in her, at least half.
I have friends with two ridgebacks and I did wonder that myself in fact.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there a way of finding out the breed mixes, a DNA test or something?
I beleive there are many dna tests out there and u agree she does look like a ridgeback. I'm assuming from the kg you live in Europe/uk reign she resembles some australian cattle dog mixes as usually the staffie is the more dominant breed. They are stubborn very smart and enthusiastic. If she starts herding (nipping heels) other dogs you will know she's a herding dog mix. Though cattle dogs aren't to common in uk I don't think.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts