Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am dog sitting for my friend and I noticed her pup had some sores on his belly he is up to date on all of his shots and I am wondering if this might be a food allergy please let me know what you think

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
How old is the pup?

if this is a puppy under 10 to 12-WO, & it's most-likely in under-10-WO pups, this appears to be possible puppy-Pyoderma.

It's a relatively-mild bacterial infection of the skin, it does NOT itch, & it's superficial - none of the lesions are deep, they don't crater the skin but form scabs that dry-up & fall off, leaving minimal or no scars.

A Q-tip dipped in 1st-Aid strength hydrogen peroxide & dabbed directly on each lesion will quickly dry them up; dab 2 to 3 spots, then KEEP THE PUP BUSY until they dry, chasing a toy or tugging or ______ .
Throw out each Q-tip after it's been used on 4 to 6 spots; IOW, use each end on 2 to 3 lesions, depending upon how long the end stays damp.

Pour 2-teaspoons to 1-Tablespoon of the H2O2 into a small shallow container, such as a -clean- lid from an emptied jar. // Dip into that little pool ONCE ONLY per end of a fresh Q-tip; do not dip a 2nd time, it contaminates the peroxide. :eek:

Discard & grab a fresh, clean Q-tip as often as U need one; just dip once, dab 2 or 3 times, flip, dip the other end ONCE, dab 2 or 3 times, discard, grab a new Q-tip, dip...
U can treat the pup daily or every-other day; the smaller lesions will usually clear 1st, the larger ones take a bit longer.

If the lesions are itchy, it's not puppy-Pyo -
see a vet for a definitive diagnosis.

Puppy-Pyo clears up in 3 to 10-days; generally speaking, it's a sign of poor nutrition [in utero or after birth - litter too big, mum fed poorly or living on the street, heavy parasite load in dam / litter or both, etc].

Also, pups who have Pyoderma after 6- to 7-WO may have poor immune function; boosting their immune systems with high-potency live gut-flora is a good idea.
RenewLIFE is an excellent name-brand, & choose a formula that is "refrigerate only", not the less-potent shelf stable / room temperature versions.

Pyoderma in pups who are still in the nest [neonates to 4- or 5-WO] are less likely to have poor immune function; younger pups are more susceptible. :)

- terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She says he's just 4 months old, he doesn't seem to itch it at all, I will definitely try the H2O2 and see what happens. Thank you so much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts