Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So my almost 2 year old lab/golden retriever mix, Piper, was spayed at 6 months old with no complications whatsoever. She has otherwise been a generally healthy pup, with a corneal abrasion as a young puppy and some stomach issues here and there. Ever since her spay surgery, I have always been able to feel what I assumed was a small knot of suture right under her skin at the top of her scar, which has never seemed to bother her.
Well, tonight as I was rubbing her tummy, I noticed it felt different, so upon closer inspection, I found that there was a small, grayish colored scab formed over the area. I washed my hands and grabbed a warm cloth to clean it, and with a little pressure, the scab seemed to come off - it had some hairs in it but otherwise didn’t seem strange. There was now a tiny almost hole where it had been with a whitish-gray piece sticking out, so I squeezed a little and this piece of what looked to me like old pus popped out. I did this a few more times until all this gross looking junk was out, but now this spot seems irritated. I cleaned well with antimicrobial soap and then applied a small amount of an antibiotic/steroid cream combo I had left over from where our other dog Ellie had a spay site complication. The bump that I had always previously assumed was a knot of suture is now gone.
Could it have just been an irritated/infected area of the skin or something? I’m gonna keep an eye on it and see if it persists, which would warrant a vet visit. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My non-professional guess would be a suture left there. If it does not heal, I would invest in a trip to your Vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts