Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!

I am working on a special product that relates to dogs adoption and abuse issues, that will encourage people to donate to charities and adopt animals (rather than buying them). We are going to involve a celebrity into the promotion and product itself, and still considering few options.

Below I listed few of my propositions. Who do you like the most and who will match the cause the best in your opinion? Share your thoughts!

1. Amanda Seyfried
  2. Charlize Theron
  3. Tom Hardy
  4. Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed (married couple)
  5. Kristen Bell
  6. Miley Cyrus
  7. Matthew McConaughey
  8. Hilary Swank
  9. Emmy Rossum
  10. Joanna Krupa
  11. Fifth Harmony
  12. Ricky Gervais
  13. Kesha
  14. Alicia Silverstone
  15. Ariana Grande
  16. Colbie Caillat
  17. Janel Parrish
  18. Kelly Clarkson
Thanks! :)
Kate

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I love Amanda Seyfried and her dog, Finn :)

Not on your list but Kaley Cuoco, Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert are huge dog lovers.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Some people might not like me saying this... but if any of those celebrities are involved/associated with PETA... I would suggest you cross them off your list. A lot of people who Love animals, Hate PETA.

I believe Peter Fonda is involved with the Humane Society. I've always liked him but I think he keeps a low profile.

Stormy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people might not like me saying this... but if any of those celebrities are involved/associated with PETA... I would suggest you cross them off your list. A lot of people who Love animals, Hate PETA.
I have heard about that opinion, but I am not 100% sure why it is such controversial organization. I know many people thinks they only TALK and actually do NOTHING. What is your opinion about PETA?

Kate

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I consider them a hate group.

They vandalize property that is not theirs...splashing paint on people's legally obtained fur coats...and even ruining superior fake furs in their zeal. They threaten and harass anyone who doesn't agree with them. They also kill most of the pets that fall into their hands rather than try to rehab them or rehome them.

When you look at their long term goals, their sole purpose is to 'free' all animals...which means no dog, cat, horse ownership for anyone.

They have also sent generous amounts of money to radical 'eco terrorists/groups' who have raided labs, burned property and committed other crimes in the name of animal liberation.

I believe in using the law to make changes, and a society needs to be of 'like mind' for laws to be changed. For a very small group to try to brow beat or terrorize people into believing what they believe in, is just wrong to me. Personally, I like my leather belts, dog collars, leashes, and don't think it's wrong to use animals as long as they are given a quality life and a quick death. I doubt I would wear a fur coat...but I'm not totally against it. If enough people were against it and the laws barred fur coats, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Anyway. To me, there are so many other organizations out there who work to heal injured animals brought to them, rehab bad habits, and rehome them, that I will never understand how anyone other than someone on the far side of things could ever give money to PETA over one of those other groups.

Just my 2 cents.

Stormy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I consider them a hate group.

They vandalize property that is not theirs...splashing paint on people's legally obtained fur coats...and even ruining superior fake furs in their zeal. They threaten and harass anyone who doesn't agree with them. They also kill most of the pets that fall into their hands rather than try to rehab them or rehome them.

When you look at their long term goals, their sole purpose is to 'free' all animals...which means no dog, cat, horse ownership for anyone.

They have also sent generous amounts of money to radical 'eco terrorists/groups' who have raided labs, burned property and committed other crimes in the name of animal liberation.

I believe in using the law to make changes, and a society needs to be of 'like mind' for laws to be changed. For a very small group to try to brow beat or terrorize people into believing what they believe in, is just wrong to me. Personally, I like my leather belts, dog collars, leashes, and don't think it's wrong to use animals as long as they are given a quality life and a quick death. I doubt I would wear a fur coat...but I'm not totally against it. If enough people were against it and the laws barred fur coats, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Anyway. To me, there are so many other organizations out there who work to heal injured animals brought to them, rehab bad habits, and rehome them, that I will never understand how anyone other than someone on the far side of things could ever give money to PETA over one of those other groups.

Just my 2 cents.

Stormy
Thanks a lot for your opinion. I will definitely digg into that topic and reconsider those celebrities involved in PETA.

You mentioned there are many other organizations - could you name a few for a reference? I will appreciate that!

Kate

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I like Betty White.

The main reason I will have nothing to do with PETA is the fact that they euthanize nearly every dog and cat that they get their hands on. Over 90% of the dogs and cats that they take in are killed and nearly all of those are adoptable. Many of the dogs and cats are never even put up for adoption.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The only one I really know on your list is Miley Cyrus and I don't know about her reputation. She's doing a lot of good stuff raising awareness about LGBT youth homelessness (she's got some awesome videos with Joan Jett and Laura Jane Grace) but her stage presence comes off as immature and obnoxious so that's something to think about. I don't know what the public opinion on her is like though.

Some other reasons to stay away from those associated with PETA:
- They support BSL and the euthanization of pit bulls for no reason other than breed.
- They degrade and sexualize women.
- They trivialize horrific events in history such as the Holocaust.
- They anthropomorphize animals and don't focus on what animals ACTUALLY need and feel. (If anyone's interested, Temple Grandin actually has some really good books on livestock and companion animals trying to understand the animals from THEIR perspective).
- They are against both hunting and predator reintroduction and think it's best to let deer die slow painful deaths from starvation and disease.
- They rely on misinformation and public ignorance. For example there was a feral horse roundup once where a number of horses died and they said it was the BLM's fault. The BLM was to blame for the deaths but it wasn't from rounding them up. There was a drought that year as well as an overpopulation of horses so when the BLM rounded them up and gave them water some of the horses drank too much water too fast and colicked. If the BLM hadn't rounded them up in the first place though even more horses would have died from dehydration and starvation but PETA took advantage of the deaths to say that capturing feral horses was cruel and many people believed them.
- Another example is when they show city folk what "all farms" are like and only show them the worst of the factory farms and slaughter houses when in reality small scale farmers care very much about the welfare of their animals.
- They are hypocrites and say no medical testing on animals but then take advantage of medicine and technology gained from animal experimentation.
- They fund groups that have been classified as terrorists- in particular ALF.
- ETC ETC ETC

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd vote for Betty White too, and for the late Paul Newman, as his profits all go to charities and his company does produce a line of dog treats my dogs have liked.

I'm not as familiar with her work, but Doris Day has been involved with animals and animal charities for a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for your propositions. I have read a lot about Betty White for example, however, due to the characteristics of the product, the person should be aged somewhere between 22-40y old and a bonus info, it will be targeted to women audience. If you have any other ideas in mind that may suit such characteristics, I will be more than happy to hear those.

For the PETA, I have read and researched through this topic last night, and many of your opinions are true to the facts. I am not trying to justify them, but in general I think that bigger organizations have a problem with the size and range of what they do, which cannot be managed properly. For sure, involving PETA supporters could be very controversial - of course it could make a lot of buzz, but probably not worth having. If you could share what organisations do you like for what they do (small or big) I will greatly appreciate that!

Kate

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have heard about that opinion, but I am not 100% sure why it is such controversial organization. I know many people thinks they only TALK and actually do NOTHING. What is your opinion about PETA?

Kate
Stormy touched on this, but I think it is worth repeating.

PETA doesn't think you should be allowed to have a pet dog, cat, or even goldfish. They'd rather see every dog sterilized and never have any puppies, causing all the purebreds and all the mutts to go extinct than to have people have pets.

PETA runs their own dog and cat shelters where the vast vast majority of their 'intakes' are owners surrendering the dogs hoping they will be adopted out. (So it isn't like the PETA shelter is out collecting homeless dogs and feral cats...but more about collecting 'homeless' dogs later)...and then kills the vast majority with zero effort going to getting these animals adopted out. One shelter was found to have taken in more than 3000 animals, and adopted out only 23 dogs and 15 cats. In 2009, 97.3% of the animals surrendered to a PETA shelter were killed.

Some states have introduced laws to say that a place cannot call itself an animal shelter if it's final purpose isn't to find new homes for as many animals as possible.

PETA shelters also feel they are above the law and often simply throw the dead dogs in the trash for the garbage men to pick up vs properly disposing of the carcasses as done by your normal dog shelter when dogs are put down.

These are all INSTITUTIONAL problems, across the entire PETA network.

The following is not an INSTITUTIONAL truth, but does go to show PETA mindset.

Many PETA shelter have been found to have been going to low income areas and acting all friendly towards the people and learning who had animals. The group would then go back when the people weren't home and lure away animals with treats, and then once the animal was off the property, they'd say it was officially a stray and take it...and kill it. That's their version of 'homeless dogs'

Here is a news video of one PETA shelter who if they couldn't lure a dog, actually went onto the owners porch and STOLE the dog.

Prosecutor: Evidence lacked to convict PETA workers

Anyone who backs PETA in my book is instantly and enemy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think that sad/bad thing about a lot of PETA members...is that they really don't understand the history/background of the organization, nor realize what the true goal is for that organization. They just think that it's a no nonsense 'in your face' animal protection agency...and for some of the vegans and anti-fur and anti-hunting types...they think that it's a great organization to support.

These same people probably own dogs, cats, horses, goats...etc..and don't realize that their support dollars are at work trying to take ownership of said animals away from them if it could.

Anyways... sorry for sidetracking a bit on this thread...didn't mean for it to turn into an anti-PETA rant. To the original poster...you can probably Google or even use sites like Petfinder and just see how many true rescues are out there. I'm not sure what their stance is as far as rehab and adoption...but I recall a big one called the Northshore Animal League ...it's back east someplace(?New York?), again...just going from memory there.

I use to get fliers from them and they claimed to be the nation's biggest no kill animal shelter and on the surface at least looked like they were into rehab and adoptions. I never really got online and investigated them closely. Never had the funds to donate to them either. :p

I hope you find a celebrity that can help you out.

Stormy

·
Registered
900 Posts
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is a huge rescue/rehab. They have many celebrities supporting them and have a database on their website. I have heard many good things about them and know of a person who when she goes on vacation she goes to Best Friends and volunteers for the week.

Celebrity Supporters

1 - 20 of 26 Posts