Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, I know you can't tell me exactly what will happen but what do you think I can expect at our Foundation Agility class? We're starting on Friday and I'm excited but nervous! The class actually has already met twice but the trainer feels that I can get caught up. Any tips on things I should work on at home before class? We have CGC class on Thursday night and Agility on Friday night.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I have found that every foundation class is different. With my trainer, in foundation we did 0 work with equipment. We worked with a flat board that we used to teach 2o2o, and a jump stand to start teaching how to get them to make turns. We worked a lot on come to sides, far sit stays (to work on lead outs), and some sending work (sending out to around a pole). BUT I have found that every class I hear is different. Some people have their dogs doing A-frames in foundations, but that's not what I am use to.

Also, don't be nervous, Aspen is going to be great. A lot of beginner stuff really builds on what you guys have already done. Just remember to have fun!

Reactions: agilityk9trainer

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that makes me nervous is that I have never made Aspen "heel". She can do it but it's sloppy. She never pulls on the leash so I don't require her to walk by my side. Now, I'm regretting this because I think a heel is important with agility :(

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Um, my dogs don't really have a great heel. And while you want them to be by your side, you also need to be able to send them out and away from you. So a dog that respects the leash and doesn't pull, I would think, would be just fine.

@agilityk9trainer, Any opinion on needing a heel?

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
574 Posts
LOL!! My dogs don't heel. :) No, you don't need a heel. In fact, a heel can be a detriment. Training and rewarding too much close in work makes the dog feel uncomfortable working away from you. You don't want your dog tied to your speed in agility. You want her out there running at top speed away from you. All you need is a dog who respects the leash and doesn't pull much. Even so, many great agility dogs pull like an ox.

As for foundation class, every school is different depending on what "level" of student they are trying to reach. A good competition school won't put your dog on the contact equipment for a while. Maybe a tunnel or low jumps to start, but it will be more like what jclark described. A "just for fun" school will have your dogs on the equipment on day one. Depending on your agility dreams will depend on what type of school you are looking for. Want to compete? Then a foundation class that puts your dog on the equipment right off the bat is probably not your best bet. Want to just do agility for fun or for low level titles? Then a school that puts your dog on the equipment on day one is probably a good option for you.

Do expect the dogs to be a bit out of control. It's beginning agility!! The babies haven't learned much yet and out of control is normal. I always tell my beginning students to expect chaos the first classes.

Be sure to bring treats, toys, water for you and your dog, a possible chair for you (depending on your school's facilities) and a crate for your dog (again depending on your school's facilities).

Have fun!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Too tight heeling might actually be bad for agility because your dog is supposed to work away from the handler too and not be too clingy to one side but I guess most obedience dogs will get past it with practice.

I wish I had a healthy dog so I could run agility too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did basic obedience first just for the attention work. I agree with the other you create a velcro dog who is always looking up at you instead of looking where they are going. It creates a bar knocker...
I am doing rally now since Savannah is older and almost has her CATCH. Let me tell you my girl can make some tight circles! WCRL ralley is a piece of cake for her. If I can have focus with her running......

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice! I feel much better about our lack of heeling haha

CGC tonight and agility tomorrow night! I'm seriously so excited. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa to come haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts