Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past 3 years what seems like over 20 times now when I leave from my home with my car and stop at the stop sign 20 houses away, in front of the last home is a man on the side walk or his front property with his dog on a leash at first just barking at me as I drove by in my car, but then as months or a year went by the barking got more vicious as the dog also lunges at me in my car. I notice him and his dog on average once or twice a month, or once every 2 or 3 months.

This man seems to have gotten bolder with his dog and the last 4 times I saw him hes walking or standing with the dog right on the road. Two months ago as he was on the road with his dog on a leash, the dog once again barked and LUNGED at me viciously towards my car coming rather close, I had to speed up a little in order to prevent his dog from clawing my car if that would of happened. Then I noticed him and his dog again starting to bark at me on the road 2 weeks later in which I made sure my car was as far from them to the left side as possible. Then I noticed him again today on mothers day, after 11 am, this time he was walking back and forth on the road very close to the stop sign. I feared that if I stopped at the stop sign being too close to his dog on the road that the dog would lunge at my car and maby claw it, so I had no choice but to back up into a driveway, turn around and go the other way.

Harassment is when a person does something over and over again that causes a disturbance onto another person. Well a man can do this with his dog even when its not intentional or he cannot help it or prevent it. I could understand a little if hes walking the dog on the side walk and barking at me in my car as I drove by, but walking the dog on the road where the dog is viciously barking and lunging quite closely to my car? What should I do? Install a camera in my car to catch this happening over and over again? Or when I see him on the road with his dog (but not on the side walk) should I always drive by as far as I can from him or even turn around and go the other direction? What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
I'd suggest a call to your police to ask for advice.

Or maybe if you blast your horn as you approach it might make him back off?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dog or no dog the man is a bully, in this case he is using the dog as a threat he could just as easily wave a cane or stick. But in this case you can speak to police and animal control. They may advise him to keep his dog under control.

Be aware that if he is contacted his behaviour toward you may become worse before it gets better because you are the one he will blame for being caught out.. You would be giving him the confrontation he wants.

An alternative is one my husband uses on a very rude neighbour of ours...She has ignored us for years if we speak she turns her head.. So he will literally stand still in the street and wave smiling like a fool and yelling cheerily good morning neighbour.. This has resulted in her being forced to acknowledge him..

So you could try waving and yelling good morning as you cruise past.. Sometimes not giving the bully what they want works best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

The first few years of this happening while he mostly remained on the sidewalk just standing there and allowing his dog to viciously bark and then eventually also lunge at me in my car, I wanted to very much stop my car right next to him and open my side door window and talk to him nicely and inform him that he should not allow his dog to viciously bark and lunge at people passing by that its annoying and harassing, but I feared that if I were to even talk to him nicely his dog's anger would escalate and bark even more wildly at me. This happens often when anyone confronts an owner with his angry dog whos barking and thats why I just ignore him and cannot say anything especially honk the horn.

I'm thinking to have a video recorder installed in my car so I can record the evidence of this happening over and over again. It will show the owner remaining on the road with his dog lunging towards me, this will prove to the police how often i'm being harassed and then they could certainly do something about it. If I were to call the police now, it will be my word against his. His word probably would be that he has the right to walk his dog anywhere on the sidewalk or road and he cannot prevent the dog from barking or lunging. ALTHOUGH are there laws against a dog owner walking or standing on the road with the dog on a leash? I think I have to prove this harassment unless maby the police can do something for me now? Maby I should call the police now, but not sure if I want to get them involved.

Whatever I do, when I back out of my driveway, yes I can turn right instead of left so I never see him at all if he happens to be there. I've been doing this the past year or so but not each time. On occasion if I turn the other way, if hes on the sidewalk its ok (not that ok though because continued barking like that really gets to me and causes a disturbance), but if hes on the road I will have to make sure to keep more to the side so his dog is far enough as I pass by, or if I have to i'll have to turn back like I did before, OR I could just turn right after backing out of my driveway and NEVER pass by him again. I think thats all I need to do.

One thing though, I would never allow my dog to bark at anyone and im very surprised there are people like this guy that doesnt care at all. It sure seems he has something against me or other people too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I contacted humane society and explained in detail about this man and his dog (I provided what kind of dog as well) but they checked the address I provided where I see this guy on end of front property with his dog at times and there are no prior issues with this address and no city tags were issued, and that it may be an incorrect address is what they told me, as well as this complaint is a police matter that falls under police enforcement powers, as harrassment, intimidation etc and that I should contact the police.

To be honest i'm kind of disappointed in the humane society because after what I described in detail should of been enough reason for them to investigate this matter with that certain dog owner and I believe there should be a law in Canada and USA that needs to be written where humane society are required to handle such complaints, but I guess for now this is a police matter as they informed me.

From what I know if im correct, dog owners can walk their dog with a leash anywhere on sidewalk but im not sure about the road especially standing on it, I guess they can too depending, and thats what I think the police will inform me as well as its his word against mine, so I think im going to have to provide evidence of this happening and how often by having a camera installed in my car OR i'll just turn right when I back out of my driveway to never have a chance of passing him and his dog again.

What do any of you think of all this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I contacted humane society and explained in detail about this man and his dog (I provided what kind of dog as well) but they checked the address I provided where I see this guy on end of front property with his dog at times and there are no prior issues with this address and no city tags were issued, and that it may be an incorrect address is what they told me, as well as this complaint is a police matter that falls under police enforcement powers, as harrassment, intimidation etc and that I should contact the police.

To be honest i'm kind of disappointed in the humane society because after what I described in detail should of been enough reason for them to investigate this matter with that certain dog owner and I believe there should be a law in Canada and USA that needs to be written where humane society are required to handle such complaints, but I guess for now this is a police matter as they informed me.

From what I know if im correct, dog owners can walk their dog with a leash anywhere on sidewalk but im not sure about the road especially standing on it, I guess they can too depending, and thats what I think the police will inform me as well as its his word against mine, so I think im going to have to provide evidence of this happening and how often by having a camera installed in my car OR i'll just turn right when I back out of my driveway to never have a chance of passing him and his dog again.

What do any of you think of all this? Thanks in advance.
To me its like child endangerment, hes putting his dog at risk of harm of cars. Is humane society like rspca in australia where you would make cruelty complaints?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To me its like child endangerment, hes putting his dog at risk of harm of cars. Is humane society like rspca in australia where you would make cruelty complaints?
Humane society in niagara falls and all of canada don't seem to handle harassment issues onto people if the dog is on a leash but do handle cruelty to animal complaints this includes walking a dog where there can be a danger of on coming cars passing by, thanks for pointing that out, if I pass by that guy again with his dog staying right on the road and his dog keeps on lunging within 5 feet away especially few feet from my car, then maby they'll do something about that since what if the dog gets too close to the wheels where the wheels or car can accidentally harm him? I'll certainly mention that to humane society if that happens again.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
In the UK we have a Dangerous Dogs Act which basically says that a dog doesn't have to actually harm you, it can be considered dangerous even if you fear that it might.

So if you feared that the dog might distract you and cause you to lose some degree of control of your car, I think that would fit into that category. Do you have anything similar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In the UK we have a Dangerous Dogs Act which basically says that a dog doesn't have to actually harm you, it can be considered dangerous even if you fear that it might.

So if you feared that the dog might distract you and cause you to lose some degree of control of your car, I think that would fit into that category. Do you have anything similar?
Yes his dog has proven to be vicious or dangerous due to his barking and lunging in anger, although on a leash. I only noticed them 4 times so far directly on the road either standing or walking, (all the other 12 to 16 times through the 3 years were on the sidewalk or his front property). (he must walk his dog a number of times per day for me to notice them that often the past 3 years). Sure if I continue to see them on the road (unless I drive the other direction), i'll keep track exactly how close his dog lunges towards my car, if hes too close where I have to speed away a little then i'll report that to the humane society that I fear the dog could get hurt accidently if there happens to be a car directly in front of my car where I have to slow down or stop. Besides who would want their car to get clawed? I think this guy with his dog has a lot of nerve and is a bully. To put it simply, no dog owner should walk or stand still with the dog on the road with passing cars, there should be a by-law against this. (I thought there was).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts