Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the last couple years we have been dealing with an individual that brings his dogs to walk in our back field off leash. The field does not belong to us and is undeveloped land that is public access. The land is not authorized for dogs use, but for years, people that live in the homes surrounding the field have walked their dogs both on an off leash and utilized this field without issue. The problem now is that ever since this jerk that doesn't even live in the neighborhood started bringing his dogs, nobody can use the field when they're out there because they're big aggressive dogs.

I'm pretty sure that if this gets escalated, nobody will be allowed to use the field anymore, which is a shame; However, on top of his dogs making it so one can't be in the field by being out there over an hour at a time off leash, they jump on our back fence and aggressively bark/growl at our dogs in the back yard. It's so bad that we've had to reinforce the fence because we fear what will become of our smaller dogs if a couple of 100lb Rottweilers breach the fence.

I have tried to talk to this guy multiple times, and he just says he's not playing into our delusional fears and that his dogs aren't aggressive. He'll then tell us we're paranoid and that he's not having a conversation about it and will walk away. I've told him more than once that there's a legitimate off leash dog park less than a mile away, and that if his dogs really are friendly, he should just take them there. Again, he'll just say he's not having the conversation and then say something stupid about how his freedom doesn't end where are fears begin. Well, this last time it happened, I lost my temper with him, and yelled in his face that his dogs are literally destroying our fence, and we have it on camera. I also told him that I'm done compromising, and that if it happens again, I'll open the gate, take the dogs from him, and turn them over to animal control. He basically said that he'd like to see me try an insinuated that his dogs will attack me. Truth is, I don't want to do that, but I really would put his dogs down if they breached the fence and compromised my family or pet's safety. I just don't want it to come to that, and I fear it could happen. I also fear what would happen if I weren't there when and if it did.

What is the best way to legally handle a situation like this. I would assume it's against the law for his dogs to be up on our fence like that. Surely, that must be enough to take legal action against this guy????? How do I do this the easiest and least confrontational way?

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I'm not in the US but is there an Animal Control office you can speak to, or perhaps the police as your property has been damaged?

·
Administrator
1,295 Posts
So the last couple years we have been dealing with an individual that brings his dogs to walk in our back field off leash. The field does not belong to us and is undeveloped land that is public access. The land is not authorized for dogs use, but for years, people that live in the homes surrounding the field have walked their dogs both on an off leash and utilized this field without issue. The problem now is that ever since this jerk that doesn't even live in the neighborhood started bringing his dogs, nobody can use the field when they're out there because they're big aggressive dogs.

I'm pretty sure that if this gets escalated, nobody will be allowed to use the field anymore, which is a shame; However, on top of his dogs making it so one can't be in the field by being out there over an hour at a time off leash, they jump on our back fence and aggressively bark/growl at our dogs in the back yard. It's so bad that we've had to reinforce the fence because we fear what will become of our smaller dogs if a couple of 100lb Rottweilers breach the fence.

I have tried to talk to this guy multiple times, and he just says he's not playing into our delusional fears and that his dogs aren't aggressive. He'll then tell us we're paranoid and that he's not having a conversation about it and will walk away. I've told him more than once that there's a legitimate off leash dog park less than a mile away, and that if his dogs really are friendly, he should just take them there. Again, he'll just say he's not having the conversation and then say something stupid about how his freedom doesn't end where are fears begin. Well, this last time it happened, I lost my temper with him, and yelled in his face that his dogs are literally destroying our fence, and we have it on camera. I also told him that I'm done compromising, and that if it happens again, I'll open the gate, take the dogs from him, and turn them over to animal control. He basically said that he'd like to see me try an insinuated that his dogs will attack me. Truth is, I don't want to do that, but I really would put his dogs down if they breached the fence and compromised my family or pet's safety. I just don't want it to come to that, and I fear it could happen. I also fear what would happen if I weren't there when and if it did.

What is the best way to legally handle a situation like this. I would assume it's against the law for his dogs to be up on our fence like that. Surely, that must be enough to take legal action against this guy????? How do I do this the easiest and least confrontational way?
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under the circumstances. :(

If it were me, I'd keep/bring my dogs inside if/when I knew this owner and his dogs were using the field. It's not fair, I know that, and certainly you and your dogs should be entitled to enjoy your own garden, but safety trumps rights every time.

By all means, try Animal Control, but this individual doesn't sound like the reasonable type, and if you do, you run the risk of him finding out it was you and causing some serious problems for you.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think I'd leave your dogs and safety out of it because the individual does not sound reasonable, and just stick with the damage to your property because unfortunately that is taken more seriously and it actually already happened. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I sympathize with your situation.
I think what I would do is make a formal complaint to Animal Control and also to the police. Explain that this man doesn't even live in your neighborhood, and tell them you have video evidence of the damage being done to your fence. Arrange it so that the next time you see him there with his dogs, you can call them and they will come out.

It would be very difficult just to avoid him in the field, since you could be away from your gate when he arrives, and you have no way to know exactly when he is using that space (unless he always comes at the same time, and if he does that would be very convenient in terms of getting video and of getting authorities out there.) Emphasize the damage to the fence to the police and Animal Control, rather than any fears about your dogs, since he hasn't actually attacked anyone.

If you go about it this way, he may be told that he cannot have his dogs off leash there, and he may be given a warning that would allow you to call and report him again the next time you see him after that, since he is unlikely to heed a warning. If you have sufficient evidence of the destruction, you could take him to small claims court to make him pay for it. You'd need not only his dogs in the photos or video, but him as well so he couldn't make a case that those are not his dogs.

By making it about the fence, you can accomplish what you need without, hopefully, creating a situation where none of you can use the field any more. I also suggest you ask all your neighbors if the dogs have damaged anyone else's fence, and if so there's strength in numbers when it comes to lodging a formal complaint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts