Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
ome kind of herder or shepherd dog mix. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
aren't english shepherds also shepherd dogs?
What I meant was it could be a pure bred English Shepherd, not a mix. Plus, when most people see "shepherd dog mix" they think of a German Shepherd.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What I meant was it could be a pure bred English Shepherd, not a mix. Plus, when most people see "shepherd dog mix" they think of a German Shepherd.
ah! My mistake. Sorry. ^^"
I meant the type of dog breed that usually helps a shepherd (the human) do their work. "herding dog breed" would probably have been a better way to describe it.

I'd still call it a mix, because the chance that a dog is a purebred, registerefd dog, when the OP doesn't know the breed, is relatively slim...at leats were I'm living.
It is more likely for a dog of unknown breed to be a mix.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ah! My mistake. Sorry. ^^"
I meant the type of dog breed that usually helps a shepherd (the human) do their work. "herding dog breed" would probably have been a better way to describe it....
No worries. :)

...I'd still call it a mix, because the chance that a dog is a purebred, registerefd dog, when the OP doesn't know the breed, is relatively slim...at leats were I'm living.
It is more likely for a dog of unknown breed to be a mix.
Very true. My impression was that the dog doesn't belong to the OP. I thought he/she either posted a picture they saw someplace or took the picture themselves. All kinds of possibilities here. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I see beagle in the face and markings and some king of herding breed in the body shape and fur.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for replies guys!
This is dog from my grandpa and grandma, i took picture of him while i was in their backyard!
Grandpa founded him at mountain as poppy.They live in southern Croatia.
I know its probably mix,but im interested in breeds that were mixed.
Sorry for bad English!

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your English is great, and the dog is very pretty.
I also seed a herder, but I do not know which one.

·
Registered
951 Posts
There is probably a regional herding breed that is distantly related to the collie that is one parent of your dog, which is why we all see a herding breed but can't put our finger on it.

I know there is an official 'Croatian Sheep Dog' but that is solid black with just a bit of white. And generally, herding breeds tended to form regional land-races, and then when countries go to make something official they tend to take one or two of the most common landraces and blend them together while forgetting/ignoring the others.

similarly, some have mentioned beagle or other hound, but again we are looking with eyes mainly trained on breeds from the USA or UK, so we would be less likely to pick up on features of a Posavac Hound for example, or some other regional hound breed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts