Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We though that our dogs were purebred but now we're not too sure. Both of them are around 3/4 years old so they're done growing. Help us figure out if they are or not and if they are, what breeds are mixed up in there? :p

Here's the first one, we're not sure if she's a mutt or not. A German Shepherd? She doesn't really look like the usual GH though, her brother looks much more like one than she does.

Her brother;

This is Max. :) We were pretty sure he was a Mastiff but he had to get surgery (around the time the pictures were taken) and the sickness didn't come up in Mastiffs that much and was much more common in Newfoundlands. Our Vet told us he might be a Mastiff/Newfoundland mix. What do you all think? :ponder:

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's interesting. Her brother could pass for purebred GSD, but they must be mixed w/something else.

The other dog does look like a mastiff to me, but it's difficult to tell from the pictures provided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It could still be a purebred GS, they come in more colours than the stereotypical saddle marked dogs. I've seen Cream and black sheppards also.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
first one could be pure gsd, i think there was some mixing way back with the belgion malinois wich is more typical to have the mask with a solid fawn body but is similar in appearance to the gsd.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Could definitely be a pure bred GSD. Seem many creamy/tan and black shephs (specially in police dogs I see it a lot). The mastiff looks like it has something else in it due to the slimmer/longer face and shaggy coat (least it looks like it) very cute dogs!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
ooooh i know what he is now!

Here are other pictures of him, sorry about the quality though!
he's really cute! i have the same kind of dog! no seriously, he looks mastiff for sure, but with something else...maybe GSD? could be newfie too, definately cute though (if i didn't already say that) how old is he?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone!
Max turned 4 this year in January, though these 2 pictures of him were taken when he was younger.

·
Registered
193 Posts
She looks like a GSD to me, though not your usual colouring. Very pretty girl.

He is just devine, I could kiss that smushy face even though I don't know him!! He looks like a Mastiff/Newfie cross to me - but bloody gorgeous anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm starting to think that she just might have a less common coloring for GSD. Not too sure about there having lab in there.

Max doesn't even enjoy swimming one bit but his bushy tail and curly fur seems to look much more Newfie than Mastiff.

I also just looked up the typical sizes that both breeds get to be, Max is around 26 or 27 inches around the withers which is a bit small for a male Mastiff but normal for a Newfie. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts