Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my boy Charlie. My neighbor's got him from a shelter (he's really their dog) when he was about a year old so nobody knows what breed he is.
The shelter called him a Border Collie but my neighbor's also had a Border at the time and let me tell you, he is not like a Border at all, except markings-wise. He doesn't show any sort of eye (7-8 years old now) and he's very people oriented. He howls kinda like an ooooooowwwwiiiiieeeee, hardly ever barks except when he's frustrated or playing then he kinda yelps. He also trees cats and raccoons and possums at night and stands guard under the tree howling. He'll also chase deer and howl after them too.
He's also very protective. I'm pretty sure he was completely un-socialized as a puppy so that could have something to do with it but I'm just adding it in anyway. :p
A really funny thing about him is that he has teeth that look like they are about half the size they should be. They are extremely tiny, to the point that he eats small breed kibble becuase it's easier for him to chew.
He's pretty high energy, loves to play fetch with sticks (the bigger the better) but he will settle right down and go to sleep after playing.
He's very intelligent too. I've taught him tons of tricks, like sit, down. wait (instead of stay), shake hands, high five, go around the house (front door to the deck), front door (back door to front), back off, excuse me, bow, etc... There are more, but I don't want to bore you. Haha
It might just be him but he's very into doing the "right" thing. If I correct him he's immediately on his belly begging for forgiveness. If he really wants me to play with him he'll start going through all his tricks with no prompting evidentally hoping he'll get to one that pleases me enough that'll I'll start to play with him.
Sometimes I think he's a giant mix of dogs but other times I wonder if he's just a mix of one or two that came out funny.
Oh, and he's about 45 pounds, at his perfect maintaining weight (eating 2 cups of good kibble a day) his last ribs can be seen and felt. He's around 19-20 inches tall too.
Pictures! Sorry for the novel. :eek: And sorry for the sideways picture... I fixed it on photobucket but evidently not enough... Grrr

My stab at his breeds are possibly a greyhound/Border Collie, Pitbull (becuase he's very very silly and wiggly like pits I've met)/ greyhound/BC, Rat terrier and something bigger, Hound/something else... I really don't know. He also looks like a very small great dane when he runs sometimes, jowls flopping all over... I have fun thinking about what breed he is. Lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He's gorgeous and sounds like a lot of fun! I don't have any guess except that his coloring, as you said, is border collie.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was thinking Border/Lab as well. I don't see any Pit in there.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I see lab. Kinda... nothing is really standing out.

I've seen lab/shepards come out with black/white markings before... (go fig)

he could also be 3 or more breeds mixed...in that case he could be anything. Honestly hes probably more than just two breeds.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He does have some shepherd like shading (almost fawn colored under hairs or something) on his shoulders... And he's not really black and white like those pictures look, I forgot to mention that, he's really a dark chocolate brown.

I agree about the lab-ness but at the same time not... Sometimes he really looks like one, face wise, but his body really isn't lab-like. He has a pretty pronounced tuck in his middle and he runs SUPER fast, not all galomping like a lab might. =P But he could be and he just inherited more Border-ness.

If it helps at all he doesn't really have much of an undercoat either. His fur on his chest is pretty thick but other than that he's all one layed, none of those cute softer hairs most dogs have under their guardhairs. Even in the winter when he's out all the time in 30 degrees and lower temperatures.

It's interesting that everybody is having so many differing opinions like I do. Haha

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, from how you described is howl to his "hunting" habits, I'd say you have a hound mix. Catahoula or possibly a Blue Tick, or Treeing Walker cross. He looks very Walker in the head. But either way, he is very cute and brillant!
Thanks for posting his pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was looking up Border Collie/Catahoula mixes and I actually saw one that had border markings, it was a puppy so who knows what it ended up looking like, but that might be what he is. The adult Catahoula's I saw looked like they had a similar head shape going on but most of them looked like they had mottling/spots somewhere which, if that's what Charlie is, could explain the spots he has on his belly and skin...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yah know, after I posted my responce I started to really think about him! Boarder/Catahoula was what I though he was most like. I know that Catahoulas are used for both hearding as well as hunting and they are being crossed with the Boarder to much success. I bet you are right on.
Either way he is very adorbble! I love him in your avi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for being so helpful!
Now I'm wondering more about what his life's story is cuz my neighbor's got him from a shelter, who according to them, got him after he got out of his owners yard and jumped on their 4 year old as the kid rode it's trike. But why would a young family get a dog that is definitely not bred to be a family pet? And then abandon it completely when it starts going along with it's heritage? But I guess that's what happens a lot these days... And Catahoula's are not common at all here in Oregon, I worked at a dog kennel for a while and I saw some rare breeds but no Catahoula's or mixes.
Weird.
But he's pretty much the best dog ever anyway. I want to have a dog just like him when I get out on my own...maybe I'll make off with him, who knows!
I love my avi picture of hm too! It's so perfectly him, when he's being totally carefree and not worrying about what he's "supposed" to be doing. And it doesn't hurt that he is totally photogenic either. =P

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lookes alot like my dog Freckls, She was a Lab/Terrier. Looked VERY similar to what you have. I own a pitbull, and don't see any of those traites. So, however, if you take her to a vet they may be able to look at the rib cage size, the teeth, and paws, as well as the skull peramiters to give you some closer estimates. other than that get a DNA test. Normally cost about $40 to $50.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm going Border Collie / whippet mix. I'm saying whippet because of the face and (biggest give away) the ears. whippet seem to have a dominent gene when it comes to ears. The mix whippet breeds almost always seem to have those half-way / folded ears

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see Lab, Border Collie, and maybe a little Pit. Probably one of his parents was a mix of lab and border or something like that, they couldnt have been pure, judging how it doesnt look like This with That kind of mix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would honestly not be shocked if he was pure border collie, to be honest the vary so much.

If he is a mix then I would say greyhound/sighthound because he looks very much like my friend's lurcher who is mainly collie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen Lab/Border Collie cross dogs and they all had the long hair of the Border Collie. I suppose it does look like it could be that though. I was thinking more the Border Collie and Pitbull cross.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.