Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my year and a half old brindle mix adopted from the Humane Society. I would really like to hear everyone's opinions on what you all think he's got in him.

His temperament is like a lab, and he LOVES water. He'll just lay down in any body of water, or swim and swim and swim. He has a very explorative nature and goes nuts over chasing birds/squirrels/etc. Not the smartest dog I've ever known, and kind acts deaf at times (especially when concentrating on 'prey'), but he is extremely sweet, gentle, and all around a great dog.

Please check out the pictures of him - I'd love to hear what you all think!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gosh, he's adorable but I don't have a good guess on the breed... there are a lot of breeds that he could be... doing a DNA test would be a good idea for him... might shed some more light on his breeding.

Did the humane society have any guesses on breeds? Maybe there is someone else here that has an idea of what he might be!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Shepherd/lab/chow? How heavy?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Brindle Dutche german shepherd mix! here's a pic for you. He is stunning!!The Dutch Shepherd comes in three varieties: long-haired (long, straight, flat and harsh), short-haired (quite hard, not too short) and wire-haired (medium length - dense harsh and tousled - more curly coated than wire coated). Heavy white markings on chest and feet are not desirable in the show ring. Although the coat types vary, the color possibilities remain the same for each: various brindles in all shades of gold and silver and brindle with dark stripes. Blue brindle is also listed under the rough coated variety. The short hair is most common in Holland, while the long hair is less common and the wire haired variety currently has a dangerously low population. The body is firm, without being coarse. The muzzle is slightly longer than the flat forehead. The teeth are strong and have a scissor bite. The eyes are dark, almond shaped and slightly slanting and the medium sized ears are carried high and erect. The tail is slightly curved. The chest is deep and the belly slightly tucked up. The feet are oval with well knit arched toes, black nails and dark pads.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Apparently Golden retrievers often throw brindle cross-bred pups, your pictures remind me of the dogs they were showing for that. I'll see if I can dig out the references.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Ruthcatrin,
That's interesting, I didn't know that! Found a pic of one, think you are on the right track!!!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Still digging for my links, but yup, thats it exactly. If I understand it correctly some goldens are genetically brindle, but another gene forces them to appear 'solid gold'. As long as they're bred golden to golden you'll always get golden pups, but cross the same dog out and the brindle shows.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info! I have NEVER seen a brindle golden and there are a lot of goldens around here. It will be on my bucket list now!!

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
It completely changes how you look at the dog (breed wise) doesn't it. I read an article on it a few weeks ago (which I now can't find, arg), and when I saw the pics here I was totally reminded of the dogs featured.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
They are really interesting looking! Whenever I see a golden now I will be thinking what if....I love the coloring of the brindles a lot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts