Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend found a dog roaming the streets and of course it's her dog now. She put up signs trying to find the owner but nothing so now Scrappy is hers, but we can't figure out what breeds he is. Our guess is chihuahua and doberman mix? What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you contacted the police about the dog and taken it to a vet to see if it has a chip?

It’s extremely unlikely that the dog is mixed with Doberman. I would guess on Lancashire heeler, miniature pinscher or maybe English toy terrier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No chip and yes the police directed her to the animal shelter so she's just going to keep him.

·
Super Moderator
396 Posts
There might be someone camped at the shelter hoping their beloved pet is found and handed in. She should at least contact them and ask if she can foster him until the owner is found.

·
Super Moderator
3,577 Posts
I'm an Administrator for one of the many FB pages in Southern California that seek to reunite lost and found pets. I can help distribute the dog's photos if I know where it was found.

If your friend doesn't turn him into the shelter, I believe that she's legally required to actively search for his owner for 30 days before permanently keeping him.

Besides FB, she should post his photo on www.pawboost.com and www.nextdoor.com.

In addition to signs in the place he was found, she should take a flyer to the shelters in the area.

The stray hold at any of the local shelters is 5 days. She can put her name at the top of the list to adopt him when she brings him in.

Then she can legally adopt him. He'll be fixed, vaccinated, microchipped, and licenced for a low fee.

Again. If you know relatively where he was found, I can do some legwork for your friend.

I do appreciate that she has been caring for him and has put up signs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts