Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had posted requesting information on beagles. I think they are the cutest dog ever but not sure they are right for our family. So this makes my third post asking about specific breeds but I am just going t lay out what we are looking for and ask for suggestions. First and foremost I will be looking at rescues but I want a breed in mind.

I am looking for a small dog ( not over 20 lbs) nothing with really long hair or the runny eyes of some of the small breeds. I want a puppy not an older dog. I am looking for intelligence and ease of training. I am also looking for family qualities. We have two toddlers and I want a puppy that can grow and play with them. Money isn't an issue we will pay for obedience school, lessons, crate, fence.... etc.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The problem is the size. Small breeds do not mix well with toddlers. That's why you got the recommendation of a beagle, because they are sturdy and very tolerant of handling, unlike most other breeds of a similar size.

Beagles are trainable, they like people, they're tolerant of handling and they are very nice family dogs. They are not, however, tiny golden retrievers.

I would not recommend toy/miniature poodles, bichons or shih tzus to anyone with toddlers. I like those breeds, but not with toddlers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really like the beagle but have heard horror stories. I also like a golden and am still considering it
Beagles can be good family dogs, but say if you were outside with the kids and the dog and your kids opened the gate your beagle would be right out that gate and following his/her nose.

They can be trainable, but also very stubborn like when they get a scent. They are bred to follow a trail and stay on it until they find it.

They are also very noisy dogs, so when the kids are sleeping all it will take is one howl and they will be up. It's very loud and can be hard to stop.

Golden retrievers are quiet a bit bigger then a beagle, but GREAT family dogs. They are loyal, very gentle, and very trainable. They are wonderful with kids and very tolerable. Overall i would say they are a good pick for a family dog.

You could look at Dachshunds ( Might be hard with kids and they are fragile backs), Shih tzu or a Maltese (you would have to keep up with the grooming though). Many little dogs can be snippy so just watch out with kids.

Also with a shelter dog, If you get one and its not okay with your kids i would consider bringing it back. You don't know the dogs past and with kids its not work risking the kids getting bite or attacked.

Personally i would vote for the golden retriever :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everyone's going on about Golden's so lets just throw these options out here. There actually is Miniature Golden Retrievers. Try puppyfind(website) to look into em maybe. They're poodle mixes usually to be a 'designer breed' I guess and they may be bigger than what you want but will probably be good tempered for what you want out of them. I would also try labradoodles and goldendoodles. I've heard some good things about puggles too plus they're usually short furred and on the small side. I've actually never met one that had a mean bone in its body and thats coming from someone who see's a lot of puggles in their area.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Beagles are great dogs and great dogs with kids but they shed a lot and you have to be ok with their hound dog bark/howl. They are trainable but not 'easy' to train. I think they would be a good fit if you are ok with those things.

And @Lavi puppy find websites are just puppy mills sites. Doodles, 'mini' Breeds of normal ones and designers are typically scams or mill dogs with unpredictable health and personality. They are a very poor choice for anyone and usually always fads.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would avoid all "doodle" mixes, you have zero idea of what you're getting temperament and coat wise, and you'll pay out those nose for it.

For the most part, toddlers and dogs don't mix, especially little dogs. I think a beagle IS a good fit for your family, but Goldens would be a nice choice as well.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Also I just wanted to add that since you have children that are so young, you probably shouldn't get a little puppy. Not only is it like having another baby to take care of, but puppies bite, scratch, and can be easily traumatized by kids and dislike them for life. You will be able to easily find a 6 month-4 year old Beagle in many rescues and shelters. That'll probably be easier. :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I would go to the shelter and look for a 5 or 6 month old puppy maybe a hound mix.
Pure hounds are hard to deal with because of their instinct to follow their nose. Beagles are known for being great escape artists to get out to follow that nose. I would not get a little puppy with small children. Not only are they as time consuming as a new born baby they get into everything. Unlike a baby that gives you time to get used to it before it can move around this pup will have sharp little teeth that will surely end up in one of your children's arms or legs. Let alone the whole potty training and chewing everything in site.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
beagle are great dogs for families, if you have the time to train and exercise them.
they can have a bit of prey drive tohugh, since they're hunting dogs.

I wouldn't recommend Dackel or very small breeds, because they can be difficult around children. the children could easily hurt them.

have you thought about Kleinpudel or Mittelspitz? they're intelligent, very people-centered not too small and the preydrive is also not that big.

Reactions: traciek88

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Kleinpudel is between a standard and a mini? I'd recommend a standard poodle for a family, but only if it's from a good, ethical breeder. Properly bred poodles have delightful temperaments, poorly bred poodles can have nice temperaments, but often have awful temperaments you wouldn't want around a small child.

The Mittelspitz looks kinda small for a family with a toddler. Are they known for being tolerant like beagles?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Kleinpudel is between a standard and a mini? I'd recommend a standard poodle for a family, but only if it's from a good, ethical breeder. Properly bred poodles have delightful temperaments, poorly bred poodles can have nice temperaments, but often have awful temperaments you wouldn't want around a small child.

The Mittelspitz looks kinda small for a family with a toddler. Are they known for being tolerant like beagles?
I'd like the bigger one better too, but until now all poodles I met were great with children and people unrelated to their size.
The Spitz is a very classical house and family dog in my region. except of the Zwergspitze they all were pretty nice, even if a bit too talkative for my taste. they're very intelligent and adapt fast. I've seen super sporty one and very couch potatoe-ish ones, depending on the owner. the Mittelspitz seems to be around 10 kg, which is not that much, but they never seemed like "typical small dogs" to me. they're pretty robust. one of of them is living in my street in a house with 8 children. they have a lot of fun together, I often see the three older ones walking the dog. Of course these kids are educated how to interact with the dog. it depends of couse on the children, but i think the breed can go great with children.
it seemed to me like the OP didn't want a big dog, so i chose the smaller versions and not Standard Poodle and Wolfsspitz.
these are awesome too though.

if I'd recommend a bigger dog for children that are slightly older, it would probably be a boxer or a retriever...or a classical german Shepherd... they're extremely adaptable, I as a woman can carry them without problems (this is important, because there can always be an accident) because they're not super heavy, and when they're coming from a responsible breeder and being trained and exercised right they can be awesome family dogs.

·
Banned
66 Posts
If you are experienced with dogs and can give a bit of leeway to their proclivities, I say Dachshund. The toddlers will have to be trained to not pick up or get in the dog's face (fairly easy to do). Dachshunds are the perfect size and bond VERY closely with their pack. I had a Dachshund that slept in the closet with my youngest during a hurricane. My youngest remembers that more than anything else about that serious storm.

·
Banned
66 Posts
if I'd recommend a bigger dog for children that are slightly older, it would probably be a boxer or a retriever...or a classical german Shepherd... they're extremely adaptable, I as a woman can carry them without problems (this is important, because there can always be an accident) because they're not super heavy, and when they're coming from a responsible breeder and being trained and exercised right they can be awesome family dogs.
Had a boxer in the yard when I was a toddler. We were born about the same time. I would ride it and tussle with it. He was a loving dog.

Unrelated, but it came to mind. When I was twelve and the boxer was old, he had his head run over by a truck while I was watching. As the oldest son, I put sand on the blood pool to cover it up and carried him off to be buried. I really loved that dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.