Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
My partner and I are planning on getting a dog this summer but we are unsure of what breed will be best... a little advice would be most welcome.

A little about our lifestyle;
I am setting up a craft studio and gallery, the dog will interact with strangers in the shop.
We will be living in the Brecon Beacons and enjoy long walks on the weekend.

Kind Regards

Carls

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do not know a lot about dog breeds but in my personal experience our Labrador has been the best with strangers. Very loving and very relaxed, she hardly barked but did let us know when someone was about and if ignored by the stranger simply went back to bed! She also never ran off even if the door was open i could leave her in the front garden while i took the bins out or something and would come in as soon as i called.

My friends boss had a jack russell in a small office with 4 other employees and she was very calm and relaxed with people coming and going, would sometimes pick up her toy to play with people but she was quite timid and often go back to her mummy!

I would recommend going to a rescue centre and tell them exactly what you are looking for. training a puppy in this situation will be very demanding on you and will take a long time!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I also suggest going to a shelter and telling the staff what you are looking for in a dog (clam/gentle, big vs small, friendly, not too much shedding..ect..). It's always a good idea to rescue, and having a rescue dog in places with lot's of people is good too - perhaps encouraging others to rescue as well.

Now seeing you guys would be owning a craft studio/gallery with lots of people comming in - I suggest you get a breed that doesn't shed so terribly much (like a poodle/ portuguese water dog..ect..) and also a dog that's a bit bigger since most people will normaly respecct a bigger dog vs a smaller one - if you know what I mean. Going on that I would suggest a Standart poodle if you chose to get a dog from a responsible breeder.

If you chose to go with a breeder have a look at these:

http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/considerations-before-buying-puppy-11762/

http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/puppy-mills-pet-stores-back-yard-11761/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice.

We would like to rescue a pup most defiantly.
Just want to be clued up about characteristics of breeds before we go looking.

We saw a border terrier the other day, he was a friendly little dog who actually lived with his owner running an art gallery, so this is an option.

Any more advice suggesting other breeds will be most welcome

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ditto the shelter suggestion!:)

Personally I would look for a medium or smaller dog (20 -30 lbs or so). Not too big and not too small. Also I would look for a friendly, sweet natured, calm adult.

There are a couple of shop owners and a barber in my area that bring their dogs to work. One has a greyhound (could be a great shop dog of you really want a larger dog), one has a boston terrier, and the other a medium sized mixed breed. The barber has a schnauzer mix. Oh, and a friend of mine owns a pet supply store. They have 2 dobies, a standard poodle, and a jack russel. The poodle goes to the store every day. The others take turns.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts