Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be an interesting topic. What breed would you never buy/adopt?
For me that would be:
-nothing under 35lbs or over 80lbs
-so called fighting dogs, pit bulls, cane corsos, ect.
-Border Collies/Australian Shepherds (just don't like the way they look, and there are to many were I live
-Golden Retrievers, Labradors, they are way to common and I prefer dogs that are wary of strangers
-show lines (have you seen the show GSD's these days? :()
-Anything lazy, I need a dog that can run miles on end
- Dogs that are cat like, for example the Afghan Hound
-No drop eared dogs
-No long haired dogs
-no designer breeds, I do not support that (unless it's a rescue)

So yeah, that sums it up about. My top breeds are Belgian (Mali) and Dutch Shepherds, although a Weimaraner or Vizsla would be a breed to consider. An athletic shelter mutt would be good to. :D
So what about you guys? Any breeds you would never get?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow, your list really cuts a lot of dogs out, especially with no floppy ears!

I'm not quite so picky, but there are several breeds I would never own.
-All large Asian breeds, Akitas, Chows, Shar Peis, Tibetan Mastiffs, Jindos. I'm not a fan of the aloofness, lack of tolerance, and wariness of strangers and "why should I listen to you?" attitude many of them have.
-Livestock guardians, Great Pyrenees, Anatolians, Ovcharkas, etc. Just not a fan of their personalities.
-Breeds with crazy corded or otherwise insane coats, Pulik, Komondorok, Bergamascos. I'd rather not spend all my time grooming a dog that just looks matted anyway!
-Hairless breeds, Chinese Cresteds, Xolos, American Hairless Terriers. They're just...icky. The hairlessness creeps me out and when they get old it's like they decay in front of you with all the warts, rotten teeth and general falling-apartness.
-Excessively drooly breeds, St. Bernards, Newfies (but I LOVE them!), English Mastiffs. I can handle lots of doggy things, but buckets of drool is not one of them.
-Breeds that just seem...too hard nature and power wise for me, Presas, Filas.
-Breeds that are insane crazy energy wise. I *might* consider these if they were old and tired but in general, no Bull Terriers, Border Collies, Aussies, Kelpies, Malinois. And really, I don't ever see myself ever wanting a pure ACD after having Stella who's just a mix!
-I also really don't like Bulldogs or Frenchies because of the health issues and I find them unattractive. I like some brachy dogs but most of them I'm not a big fan of.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Although I've met some great GSD's, after living with several awful ones, I highly doubt I will ever own one.

I don't like ACD's at all. I have yet to meet one I really like.

Labs and Goldens are far too common and boring, prone to so many issues and being overweight and bull in a china shop personalities. I also prefer my dogs not so extremely friendly to everyone.

I'll never own a brachy breed. I don't find it cute, it's not healthy, and i like really active breeds.

I wouldn't want anything hairless, or any curly coated breeds. Really long haired dogs aren't my top pick either for sure.

For sure never a dachshund, every one I've ever met barked nonstop, didn't listen, was barely housebroken if at all and of course have bad back issues.

I also doubt I'd ever have a pit or a LGD.

I tend toward small-medium size dogs, athletic but not crazy hyper and short haired. My JRT/beagle and Beagle/rott are in most ways my ideal type of dogs. Athletic and slim but with a good off switch and short hair.

·
Registered
500 Posts
- Akitas, shar peis etc - dog aggression, aloofness
- flat-faced dogs like English bulldogs and pugs, bassert hounds. No for multiple health problems and unethical breeding
- bull type in general. Dog aggression risk, not sounding like my cup of tea anyways.
- Spanish water dog - incompatible with my temperament, I'd say.
- tiny teeny dogs like chihuahuas - unlikely alliance with me for I'd fear I'll accidentally step on it
- LGD - unlikely that I'll ever live in a farm in the middle of nowhere
- hounds, pointers, spitzes - I don't hunt so why have a dog bred for that purpose
- any bearded or poodle-coated breed - I want easy maintenance
- large dogs like newfies etc. drooling, expences, more difficult to transport, many large breeds also have joint issues
- hairless dog - I don't want to dress it up before each walk
- border collies - on paper, good match for me, but I don't like how the dog sport arenas are mostly black and white when you pass the novice classes. I want more variety!

My current dog is a rough collie. I dream of a Belgian Groenendael, working cross preferred, but my common sense is telling me that another RC would be a better option. anyways, I like many FCI 1 breeds. If I wanted a small dog, I would choose between Sheltie, Mittelspitz, Schipperke, Lancashire heeler and a variety of chosen terriers like JRT.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
For me it would be no:

-Brachycephalics
-Breeds known for health problems out the wazoo, like the Cavalier, boxer etc.
-DA prone breeds
-Breeds with fur that must be clipped (poodle, shih tzu etc)
-Breeds with beards
-Most toy breeds
-Hounds that do that annoying baying sound.
-Breeds over 120lbs. 120lb limit as in, that should be the absolute max a male of the breed should get to.
-Breeds with long backs and short legs
-Most terriers (only exceptions being JRT and PRT)

Yeah, it's probably easier to tell you what dogs I WOULD consider owning xD

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most if not all brachy breeds, most small breeds. Anything poodle, I don't care for the curly coat, most terriers. My mom has scotties, and I love them but not the dog for me. There are a lot of breeds I love but I don't see myself ever owning. Most high energy breeds, I can't give them the exercise they need. So that cuts out most sporting and herding breeds. LGD, I don't have the land, otherwise there are a couple I'd love. Most sight hounds, I absolutely love sight hounds, borzoi in particular but I like to be able to trust my dogs off lead and again the energy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Anything lazy. I walk some Lhasas, shih tzus and man alive those are lazy. I want a dog that's game for any activity.

No brachy breeds, couldni deal with the snoring and the constant panting.

Beagles - I just can't.

Any small breeds, I trip over Buster daily and he isn't small so a tiny breed would definitely be squished by me.

I'm pretty easy with breeds, I'll give most a chance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some of my "never ever" list is based on experience, some is just preference. For me, it would be absolutely no:

-bracy breeds
-breeds with sleek/no coats (such as Greyhounds, etc)
-breeds with curly coats
-bully breeds/types
-labs
-dogs with DA
-very high energy dogs
-tiny dogs
-most of the terriers
-most of the mastiffs
*double-coated dogs (this could change depending on circumstances and the fur type, but current experience is driving me away from them.)

And yet my "I want it now!" list is still very long....huh

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
- flat-faced dogs like English bulldogs and pugs, bassert hounds. No for multiple health problems and unethical breeding
Basset hounds? Did you mean something else? Bassets have a rather long snout. They're prone to lots of other health problems though, is that why you put them in that category?

Not much love for the brachy breeds on this page. =P I find it interesting what breeds dog people gravitate towards, and totally avoid, even if their lifestyles are different.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Traciek88: More like broken list. I started with mentioning flat-faced and then remembered I won't have any breed that have too many health issues or are bred to the extreme.

Although collie's long nose could be seen as extreme too but as far as I know it does not bother collies.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Oddly, my puppy mill basset has had almost no health problems. He's had two or three UTI in his life, other than that nothing. Sorry, he had a bad case of kennel cough when he was a little puppy.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I can't say "never" anymore.

I never wanted a tiny dog, and I never wanted a terrier.

I have a 6 lbs terrier now. I'm planning for my next dog to be a Norfolk Terrier.

I also said I'd never own a lab. But I'm hoping to get a job handling explosive detection dogs for the TSA in the next few years and labs are increasingly popular for that line of work.

I guess I don't want anything particularly unhealthy. I love bulldogs soooo much but I couldn't deal with the health problems.

No big dogs with high prey drives. Little ones (like the terriers) can be managed easily enough, but there are a few huskies and a catahoula at work that have such high prey drives that they'll even go after little dogs. Not cool.

And no scent hounds. They're sweethearts but I can't stand the baying. (Though I could see myself putting up with that if one ever happened to come into my life- I just wouldn't seek one out.)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Although I've met some great GSD's, after living with several awful ones, I highly doubt I will ever own one.
I like shepherds in theory but I haven't been impressed with any of the ones I've met. They've all been neurotic- either because they were poorly bred or because they were working line dogs that went to pet homes and don't get proper exercise/mental stimulation. There was one at work today that was downright crazy. Huge bully to other dogs too. Not his fault- his owner shouldn't have a shepherd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow! That cuts out a lot of breeds. Here's my list:

-No breeds with long hair
-No little dogs
-No yappy dogs
-No Purebred GSD's (The showline one's are awful-looking these days)
-No fat/overweight dogs
-No Super energetic dogs
-No dogs with smushed faces
-No wire-haired dogs

My favorites consist of greyhounds, Belgian Malinois, and pitbull-type dogs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My favorites consist of greyhounds, Belgian Malinois, and pitbull-type dogs.
No super energetic dogs and you like the Malinois? :D

Some interesting lists here! It's surprising that a lot of people seem to dislike small dogs. Strange, considering their popularity:ponder:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh dear. Full disclaimer: I LOVE pretty much all dog breeds and enjoy the challenges that the various breeds present, but there are plenty I wouldn't own.

-Anything under 30 pounds (unless it was a small BC)
-Wire-haired breeds
-Terriers, of any variety.
-Brachycephalic breeds. Not down for the health problems and honestly, I don't think they're cute.
-GSDs (unless I could find an awesome working breeder)
-Giant breeds (I can't handle short life-spans, I'm far too emotional. It's why I became a dog trainer instead of a vet tech)
-No hounds (Aside from the nose issue, I really can't get behind the baying :p )
-Labs/Golden Retrievers/Doodle varieties of either
-Spitz/Asian breeds
-Any type of Mastiff/drooly dogs

Clearly I'm a herding group elitist. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think is say if never own one, as I've met one or two dogs of each of these breeds that are wonderful dogs, but I would say it's unlikely that I'd ever get:

-A shiba inu (too independent)

- most Poodle mixes (too common, and I've met too many annoying ones... Although that's probably due to overbreeding )

-purebred German shepherd (again, I've just met too many crazy ones)

-hounds (I can't stand howling)

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is really no breed I would NOT get. But there are traits I would not accept. But otherwise I'd take in any breed or mixed breed, if it felt like a good choice. For the most part, dog aggression is my only no-no. I own a small group currently, but plan to expand my 'pack' over time, and I just don't have the space to deal with a dog who is dog aggressive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No super energetic dogs and you like the Malinois? :D

Some interesting lists here! It's surprising that a lot of people seem to dislike small dogs. Strange, considering their popularity:ponder:

Haha, yes. I love the Malinois, yet I would never want to own one where I live now. When I get older, I plan to live in the country, which would be a much better environment for a malinois. I definitely do not like little dogs, they have the potential to be great dogs, yet they often become spoiled, dominant, and yappy. Too many owners that spoil their dogs to an extent that makes them undesirable dogs:(

·
Registered
439 Posts
Here's my list:
-Having lived with a Great Pyrnees puppy for a few months, I will never ever own a dog over 100 lbs. Way too much dog for me.

-Any breed with no clear "off" switch.

-I love my parent's pug, so I have no issues with smushed faces, however I would only ever get a pug from a reputable breeder. I tend to want to rescue because I can't handle puppies, but pug's have such bad health I'd want to know they were taken care of properly from the beginning.

-Any breed that needs regular haircuts. I work at a grooming salon, I see what happens when someone whose unprepared gets a yorkie or shih-tsu. I'm not prepared for the cost and I don't want to let my dog go through that.

For the most part, I feel like I will spend my life with adult rescue dogs. Low-maintenance, and active enough to force me to exercise, but able to be a couch potato with me when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts