Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer. Im purely doing this for interest fun to see what people think what dog breed would suit me if i didnt have a dog, or if no breed suited me. I have absolutely no intention of getting a second dog.

HOME》Very small yard. Dog would be left alone a few hrs each week. Dog woud be inside dog. No other pets in house

GROOMING》Dog could shed as much as it needs. I could brush as much as needs and give haircuts as much as needs and bath as much as needs.

BARKING》Vocal dog is no problem.

EXERCISE》I can walk as much as the dog needs. I can not run however dog would have multiple safe access spots for daily swimming and parks for offlead time. Prey drive is not an issue.

MY HEALTH 》Dog would witness autism meltdowns and anxiety attacks. I do get a little unseady on feet due to dizziness

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh this is fun! I’ve thought about doing this myself :)

I’m thinking a stable and and emotionally balanced dog that’s not too sensitive to the owners mood. So not breeds like the sheltie or malinois since I figure they might get too affected and distressed if the owner is having meltdowns or anxiety attacks etc. However I think it’s about finding a balance between a dog that’s attuned to the owners emotions but at the same time doesn’t get affected in a negative way.

Then I’m thinking a dog that enjoys being active without the need for a lot of mental exercise. So not a pure working breed that would need to be offered more of a job to do.

The first breed that popped into my head was the Euraiser for some reason. They might be prone to separation anxiety if separated from their owner too much but I figured that a few hours/week weren’t that much? Lab, golden, english- or welsh springer spaniel (dp lines, not field or working) could be a good fit too. I’m also thinking that Leonberger, Bernese mountain dog, Newfoundland, schnauzer and poodle could be good choices. I don’t know how stable and emotionally balanced they are but maybe sighthounds could be a good fit, greyhound, whippet, Italian greyhound, saluki etc.

The spectrum of breeds gets quite wide if you have very few requirements on the breed (size, coat, temperament etc). And also are able to fully adapt the amount of walks to the dogs needs. Don’t you have a maximum of time or interest in walks at all? If the dog would want to walk 5 hours every day, would you do it? You mentioned a little about what the walks would contain such as swimming and off-lead time, which is great. But otherwise, what would a normal walk look like? Is it in a city, neighborhood, forest, countryside etc? Would you just simply walk or maybe give the dog some tasks and stuff to do through out the walk. Since a simple walk through the neighborhood differs a lot from a walk in the forest with a lot of tasks and challenges for Instance.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh this is fun! I’ve thought about doing this myself :)

I’m thinking a stable and and emotionally balanced dog that’s not too sensitive to the owners mood. So not breeds like the sheltie or malinois since I figure they might get too affected and distressed if the owner is having meltdowns or anxiety attacks etc. However I think it’s about finding a balance between a dog that’s attuned to the owners emotions but at the same time doesn’t get affected in a negative way.

Then I’m thinking a dog that enjoys being active without the need for a lot of mental exercise. So not a pure working breed that would need to be offered more of a job to do.

The first breed that popped into my head was the Euraiser for some reason. They might be prone to separation anxiety if separated from their owner too much but I figured that a few hours/week weren’t that much? Lab, golden, english- or welsh springer spaniel (dp lines, not field or working) could be a good fit too. I’m also thinking that Leonberger, Bernese mountain dog, Newfoundland, schnauzer and poodle could be good choices. I don’t know how stable and emotionally balanced they are but maybe sighthounds could be a good fit, greyhound, whippet, Italian greyhound, saluki etc.

The spectrum of breeds gets quite wide if you have very few requirements on the breed (size, coat, temperament etc). And also are able to fully adapt the amount of walks to the dogs needs. Don’t you have a maximum of time or interest in walks at all? If the dog would want to walk 5 hours every day, would you do it? You mentioned a little about what the walks would contain such as swimming and off-lead time, which is great. But otherwise, what would a normal walk look like? Is it in a city, neighborhood, forest, countryside etc? Would you just simply walk or maybe give the dog some tasks and stuff to do through out the walk. Since a simple walk through the neighborhood differs a lot from a walk in the forest with a lot of tasks and challenges for Instance.
You should do it to👍
Absoltely love walks. I just cant physicaly run due to heavy chest if you get my drift. Would walk 5hrs if dog wanted. Plenty of stops inbetween obviously. Live in busy suburbier with huge range of walking spots from along water spots and parks and rds and tracks here and massive track reserve. Ive got no problem walking in pouring rain either. Unfortunatly no snow ever where i am.
Anxiety and meltdown wise its all self inflicted. I dont shout or scream at jesse ect.
I do find larger dogs suit me physicaly

·
Registered
520 Posts
We used to have a cross Bouvier des flandres st. Bernard.
He would have suited you calm but protective, big enough to support you , big enough for you to hold onto, and yet gentle as a lamb. Bouviers are considered hypoallergenic they don't shed.. the prey drive is pretty limited they used to be used as cattle herders but they are good companion dogs they will walk for hours and yet at home they are complete layabouts.
As for being vocal they tend to talk more than bark.
They can bark and they will bark but they reserve that for when the big bad wolf comes calling.

They they really are wonderful companion support dogs even though they are very large, Max was cool as a cucumber even though we had one ADHD child and one autistic one if the boys ever fought all he would do is push between them or grab a trouser leg hem and pull so that they toppled over!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should do it to👍
Absoltely love walks. I just cant physicaly run due to heavy chest if you get my drift. Would walk 5hrs if dog wanted. Plenty of stops inbetween obviously. Live in busy suburbier with huge range of walking spots from along water spots and parks and rds and tracks here and massive track reserve. Ive got no problem walking in pouring rain either. Unfortunatly no snow ever where i am.
Anxiety and meltdown wise its all self inflicted. I dont shout or scream at jesse ect.
Forgot to mention dog would walk in front sniff when it pleases. I dont make a dog heel walk

·
Registered
505 Posts
You should do it to👍
Oh no I didn’t assume that you would take it out on the dog as in shout or scream at them. But some dogs that are more sensitive and prone to stress so for them experiencing anxiety attacks or meltdowns could be quite difficult. Of course this depends on how the meltdowns and anxiety takes place. I’ve witnessed quite terrifying anxiety attacks were the person just shuts down and screams on top of their lungs until somebody is able to calm them down. In that case a very sensitive dog with weaker mentality and high stress level would have issues dealing with that. But I also know that it can be more internal and less obvious for those around. I just thought a more emotional balanced dog and all in all stable would be beneficial in the situation.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We used to have a cross Bouvier des flandres st. Bernard.
He would have suited you calm but protective, big enough to support you , big enough for you to hold onto, and yet gentle as a lamb. Bouviers are considered hypoallergenic they don't shed.. the prey drive is pretty limited they used to be used as cattle herders but they are good companion dogs they will walk for hours and yet at home they are complete layabouts.
As for being vocal they tend to talk more than bark.
They can bark and they will bark but they reserve that for when the big bad wolf comes calling.

They they really are wonderful companion support dogs even though they are very large, Max was cool as a cucumber even though we had one ADHD child and one autistic one if the boys ever fought all he would do is push between them or grab a trouser leg hem and pull so that they toppled over!

He sounded like a fantastic dog!
I do love bouviers and st bernards and most of sunflowers choices. I realy love the leonbergers. Ive never been a lab or retriever fan no particular reason why i just dont click with them. Italian greyhound and whippet too small. I get unbalanced sometimes when walking due to self inflicted concussions which has caused tbi and i find the weight off a dog pulling on lead helps me walk in a straighter line and helps with my confidence mentaly by taking charge a bit. Also bigger dogs have more weight to help with deep pressure therapy. Drooling ive never dealt with but could live with.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh no I didn’t assume that you would take it out on the dog as in shout or scream at them. But some dogs that are more sensitive and prone to stress so for them experiencing anxiety attacks or meltdowns could be quite difficult. Of course this depends on how the meltdowns and anxiety takes place. I’ve witnessed quite terrifying anxiety attacks were the person just shuts down and screams on top of their lungs until somebody is able to calm them down. In that case a very sensitive dog with weaker mentality and high stress level would have issues dealing with that. But I also know that it can be more internal and less obvious for those around. I just thought a more emotional balanced dog and all in all stable would be beneficial in the situation.
Your absolutley right some dogs would quiety build up hidden stress. I know jesse does. He genuinlely cares and worries for me but its only natural to affect him. I start punching my chest more than my head now and scream with mouth closed with meltdowns. He knows my stimming when i make subtle groan noises or clench a fist with a squinted eye that its a signal of an oncoming meltdown.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both awful but asthma would be the better of the two...
Absolutley asthmas better. If its copd its all from heavily passive smoking from my mum growing up as im a non smoker. Either way im surrounded by fur and will always keep it that way👍

·
Registered
122 Posts
Absolutley asthmas better. If its copd its all from heavily passive smoking from my mum growing up as im a non smoker. Either way im surrounded by fur and will always keep it that way👍
My mom's in stage 4 copd, She did smoke for a long time but her lung doctors said it more likely from chemical cleaners. She does good around my poodles :) Before I got my first, I would've never imagined owning a poodle. lol. Now I finally found my second, she was sooo hard to find, took us 5 years after my first passed away. They're such great dogs, very easily trained but I still haven't been able to jump onboard with poodle cuts. Usually when mine get trimmed they get regular puppy cuts bc I'm not a fan of the fully shaved faces or feet yet. lol I enjoy them on other peoples poodles, just not my own.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mom's in stage 4 copd, She did smoke for a long time but her lung doctors said it more likely from chemical cleaners. She does good around my poodles :) Before I got my first, I would've never imagined owning a poodle. lol. Now I finally found my second, she was sooo hard to find, took us 5 years after my first passed away. They're such great dogs, very easily trained but I still haven't been able to jump onboard with poodle cuts. Usually when mine get trimmed they get regular puppy cuts bc I'm not a fan of the fully shaved faces or feet yet. lol I enjoy them on other peoples poodles, just not my own.
Sorry to hear about your mum. My mum had stage 4 and still smoked a few packs every day till the end.

Oh if i had a white poodle. I love grooming and if it was happy with the process it would be creative groomed

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would totally get onboard with creative grooming if I didn't prefer the dark colors! I'd be all over fun colors. we did just groom our yorkipoo like a lion and I love it. Took me a few days to get used to it. It's mainly just the Continental clip i'm not fond of for our dogs. I still enjoy seeing them though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts