Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a large dog that is a bit guarding, intelligent, sheds minimal and don't need a ton of excercise every day. I live in a house with big yard, but sometimes I live in my (pretty big) apartment in the city but with no possibility for the dog to run free. So I need a dog that can tolerate 3-4 days with normal walks.

I'm leaning towards rottweiler or doberman, but I'm also considering bullmastiff, boxer, lab.. but lab sheds a lot I've heard. Whats your experience with these breeds, whats the difference between doberman and rottweiler?

I know have to handle a dog, so that's not a problem. I have a male poodle now, who is such a wonderful dog. I'm at home all the time studying, so he hasn't been alone much and cries even if I leave the room, so I think he will be very happy getting a buddy.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Well, Dobes, Labs, and Boxers require a fair amount of exercise, they are very energetic dogs that love to run.

What size is your poodle, and how does he react to other dogs? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Dobes, Labs, and Boxers require a fair amount of exercise, they are very energetic dogs that love to run.

What size is your poodle, and how does he react to other dogs? :)
Yes true, and I will give him a lot of excercise when I'm in the house, here he can run and swim aswell, but when I'm in the apartment it's a bit limited. Do you think those breeds are fine with a few days of less activity? (30min-1h walk daily)

He is a big mini and he loves everything that walks on 2 and 4 legs. He's a very confident, nice dog.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
All of those breeds will shed. Probably quite a bit more than you are used to with a poodle! Dobie fur sticks in everything like little needles. I know that from personal experience.;)

Also as you are in an apartment part time I would be cautious of adding really any of these breeds to your family. They are pretty commonly not allowed in rentals because of insurance...even if allowed one now, you may have a very hard time finding places in the future.

Last, as far as a dobe goes are you able/willing to be taking classes weekly for much of the dogs life? Are you planning on training to pretty high levels? If not and you are set on a dobe, please consider specifically searching for and adopting a laidback adult. Exercise is great but dobes in general tend to need a lot of mental stimulation to not be pains in the rear.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'd suggest a well-bred Standard Poodle. :)
-a bit guarding :check, even though they are more watch and alert dogs than open guarding...I personally think it is easier...dogs with guarding and protection drive bring their own backpack of difficulties with them. Most people that don't have experience with this kind dog breeds would be overchallenged with this kind of behaviour.
- doesn't shed : check
- super intelligent : double check.
a Schnauzer could also work.

Dobermann, Rottweiler and Boxer are all not dogs that are okay with just being there.
they need attention, training and a lot of exercise.
You should at least spend 1-2 hours training, walking and exercising the dog everyday.
All of three shed. Boxer and Dobi shed short, hard needle-like hair... the Rotti fur is a bit longer and softer, as it seems to me.
they all very different in character. Dobis are the most like poodles in their behaviour. very energetic, often a bit nervous and pretty sensitive, very fast reaction-wise. they're extremely closely bonded to one person.
the other two are a bit more observant and but seem to have slightly a bigger radius they cover.
Rotti and Boxer are a bit more alike, but Boxer is are bit more "family" dogs than the Rotti who's often very serious and also pretty much a one-person-dog.

One-person-Dog can mean in extreme cases that they only really listen to that person and noone else in the family, that you can't let stay with other people and that the dog can act aloof or even hostile towards people it doesn'T know.

Boxer are awesome. I'm totally partial for Boxer.
but they're working dogs. you've got to work with them.
they can have a strong protection drive and like Rottis and some Dobis they decide when they feel like protection or guarding something or someone.
Don't take strong guarding instict lightly. this can be serious business. Especially when the dog is big, strong and has a very own opinion on what to guard.

all three breeds are also well-known for showing same-species aggression or being dog-selective, so this can happen...you can make them stop acting on it., but the chance is very big, that such a dog won't like other dogs outside its own family.
depending on the size of your first dog, I'd also perhaps not pick a Rotti or Boxer...they both can be a bit clumsy and gruff without meaning it...it would be like them to accidentally overrun a small dog. this can hurt the small one.

labs are a whole different business...they're energetic, often don't keep their distance (which can be super annoying for someone that prefers more aloof dogs) from other people and dogs, and seem to have not much guarding or protection drive at all (at least the one I met until now).

With all breeds it depends largely on the individual dog and the breeding line though. So regardless of the breed do your homework regarding breeding lines and breeders.

another thing to remember: when you've got problems with your first dogs, solve them first and then get a second dog.
Often the second will adopt behavioural quirks of the first one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:)

I love that you have narrowed down your top two choices to Doberman and Rottweiler! I used to have a Rottweiler and to have a Doberman is my dream! As far as shedding, both of these dogs are short haired and people often misconstrue that to mean that they don't shed like longer haired dogs do. The truth it, they do shed and they shed A LOT! The key is to develop a habit of brushing out your dog regularly. This will get a lot of the hair out and keep shedding at a minimum. The shedding with these breeds really varies depending on the time of year. You will notice that sometimes you will brush out a ton of hair and at other times there will be no need to brush at all.
Both of these breeds are definitely guarding and intelligent, but do need exercise. I see no problem in the having to have regular walks for a couple days at a time but as long as they have their chance to get out and get their exercise later on. These are both very smart and very trainable breeds, I could argue that the Doberman is a quicker learner and therefor easier to train quicker but both breeds definitely have the potential of being very well trained dogs. I was able to walk my Rottweiler with no leash and he always obeyed my commands. I wish you luck in your decision, you really cannot go wrong with either one of these two! I would be excited to here which one you choose!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fist of all "30min-1h walk daily" 3-4 times a week and more on the rest is sufficient amount of exercise in my opinion.

Expect more shedding than you get from a poodle with almost every dog breed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much guys for your answers, I really appreciate it. I'm going to take all to consideration and check insurance etc with the dobe and rottie and go say hi to some shelter dogs. I know they have all of the breeds I mentioned there, and a dob/rottie mix as well. A standard poodle is not a bad idea either. We'll see and again, thank you guys :)))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.