Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adopted Abby Rose from our local pound in February. Her paperwork has her listed with various names and as a poodle mix around 8 or 9 yrs old. Looking at internet pictures of various dogs I see more Bolognese or Bichon in her than poodle. Her hair is straight other than the bottoms of her legs, her ears and her neck. She is small, only weighing about 12 lbs, short snout and very round, almost bulging, brown eyes. Just curious as to what everyone thinks...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I see more bichon than poodle as well. I'm not a genetics expert but probably 2 very similar looking dogs...isn't white recessive? Maybe a poodle bichon mix? how big is she?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The first picture looks especially Bichon. Maybe with some Maltese mixed in, for the straight hair? Bolos are pretty rare, and she's unlikely to be a purebred Bolo due to size.

At any rate, adorable. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh she is definately not a purebred (she was, I believe, a Make - a - wish dog, information I'm not supposed to know).
She has a long tail with straight hair. she was 8 or 9 lbs when we found her, skin and bones and is now a healthy 12 - 14 lbs (I can't remember). What was the question about being white? She has lots of tear staining, around her face especially but also over her 'hot spots'.
Thanks...I know not much about dog breeds but had a poodle when I was younger and my families' upstairs neighbor also had a poodle and Abby is nothing like Alfie or Tippy.
Sadly, she doesn't play...not with toys, kong, or with us. She prefers being in a tight fit area (between the arm rest and me or a large couch pillow or on our overstuffed dining room chair on which I have a thick soccer blanket over covering any open areas (confined).
Well thank you, I only noticed the similiarities to a Bichon when a good friend, out of state, posted pics of her bichons and my best friend said she found some pics of dogs looking like Abs that were not poodles.
Have a good day all!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and let me add...due to her insecurity issues I have not taken her to be groomed, grooming her myself instead so she looks a little choppy. I am still dealing with her never ending skin issues (found a gluten free, turkey/potato food to feed her) so I try to keep her closely shaved and treat her hot spots and her ears accordingly. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
my sisters bichon cannot do corn at all...even eating a dropped piece of food with corn in it he will get one..so be careful with that just in case. he also gets them from stress which sounds like your dog has seen a lot of before she came to you. Hopefully with love and security those hot spots will get fewer and farther between. kind of surprised if she is make a wish...if my child loved something and wanted something that bad then I'd want to hang on for dear life if something happened to my child. but then i don't know the whole story.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my sisters bichon cannot do corn at all...even eating a dropped piece of food with corn in it he will get one..so be careful with that just in case. he also gets them from stress which sounds like your dog has seen a lot of before she came to you. Hopefully with love and security those hot spots will get fewer and farther between. kind of surprised if she is make a wish...if my child loved something and wanted something that bad then I'd want to hang on for dear life if something happened to my child. but then i don't know the whole story.
I dont know her history but have a sinking feeling I know the family that had her. Wont go into details but make a wish or not, I can not fathom abandoning your dog on the street or refusing to reclaim her when contacted by the pound. Their loss my treasure. Thanks about the stress notes, yes, she is getting better but its a very slow process and the blackened skin on her belly is slowly lightening so I know she is getting better. Thank you all for your input...my husband said, in response, "Whats a beeshon?" hahahah...our Abby is darlin!

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
What a sweetie!
I think its awesome that you gave her a loving home!
Personally I see maltese and poodle or.maltese and bichon.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a sweetie!
I think its awesome that you gave her a loving home!
Personally I see maltese and poodle or.maltese and bichon.:)
Posted via Mobile Device
regardless of what she is, she is such a sweet dog! thanks everyone!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks....I post then get so caught up in life I don't readily get a chance to come back and reply to posts. The more poodle pictures I see the more I'm convinced that if she has poodle in her its not very dominant. I agree...I see resemblance to Bichon. Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts