Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What breed? Plott hound mixed with...

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TruckersMom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all ~~ this is my year 1/2 old rescue baby --

she's apparently some kind of Plott hound mix - she has the sloped tummy & relatively houndy ears but they aren't huge. She's really energetic and loud and sweet & extremely intense about food (which I'm sure is a combination of being a rescue and a plott) & really really fast.

She's 42 pounds.

I don't think she's a full Plott but I'm wondering if anyone could speculate on what she may be mixed with?

Thank you!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The brindle makes me want to say catahoula - but I honestly know NOTHING about the breed so it's literally a color-based guess which is not likely going to have any accuracy at all. LOL

Regardless, your dog is beautiful.

ETA: And then I do a google search of catahoula's and realize they aren't even brindle at all - they're merle... LMAO

#6 ·
ETA: And then I do a google search of catahoula's and realize they aren't even brindle at all - they're merle... LMAO
Catahoulas can be brindle, but they aren't terribly often. And she actually does look a bit like a Catahoula in other respects.

A lot of Plott mixes can look a bit Catahoula-esque, though, so if it's pretty sure she's part Plott I wouldn't think the other half is Catahoula. Catahoula + Plott would generally make a somewhat bigger, boxier-headed, jowlier dog than that.

I don't really have a lot of good ideas for otherwise. She's good-looking but quite generic looking apart from her color and doesn't look pure Plott. Plott + something a bit smaller with rather shorter ears. :p

#7 ·
She definitely looks the Plott Hound part, maybe with something like the greyhound or mountain cur? She's beautiful, would've thought she was pure plott otherwise.

#8 ·
that's funny - she was rescued in louisiana so she's probably somewhat catahoula but they are the two most closely related i believe so it may just seem that way because of the plott part. who knows, one day when i'm feeling reckless i may buy one of those ridiculous expensive dna dog tests.

#11 ·
Plott and Boxer or Plott and Pitt. The brindle coloring is common in Plott mixes, not sure why but it seems like most Plott mixes result in the slightly squarer jaw line, slightly shorter perkier ears, and brindle coloring.

#13 ·
My other guess would be lab/plott

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.