Dog Forum banner

What breed of dog do you think He is?

915 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dawnben 
#1 ·
I got my Leroy from the pound about 6 months ago. They guessed his age to be around 2 years old. He's a coonhound mix of some sort. I guessed he was a redtick coonhound but he's very big.
He's around 80 pounds and 28 inches from the floor to his shoulder.

See less See more
#5 ·
Ear length is really not the most accurate way to determine Coonhounds as there is a lot of variation between lines (something I learned when talking to breeders and AKC club people about my pup). They generally go by overall coloring & pattern, stance, bark/bay tone, pattern, frequency, and sound, overall appearance, size (height to shoulder, chest circumference, etc.), weight, how they hold head, ears placement and how they carry their tail.

If you know he is part Coonhound then there are only 6 choices of Coonhounds (Plott, Redbone, Black and Tan, Bluetick, Treeing Walker, and English/American English/Redtick) for it to be.​

Because of this it might not be the best picture to determine breed type but I think he looks like an Bluetick
Coonhound/American English (Redtick) Coonhound. He has darker spots & ticking on his back? Bluetick come with a variable amount of redticking on the feet, chest and legs. I cam to this based on his head shape seems more to fit that of a Blue Tick then that of an American English, the extra long ears and further back placement has me seeing Bluetick, the darker spots on the back and slightly there appearance all fit that of a Bluetick over an American English. But the vast amount of white and red ticking fits that of the American English.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.