Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I asked this before when I got Springer as a puppy. I'm still convinced he is Catahoula mixed with either some Aussie or some Heeler. He was a rescue pup found in a log in Kentucky. I've now got him in California and we run every day, he is super fast and loves me to death. He is 3 years old and tons of fun. Appreciate any ideas or feedback!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
ACD x Catahoula? - sure, looks very likely. [IMO]

I could readily see Catahoula x ACD -
i can't see Aussie-X, in any trait.

He's a handsome dog - i think U lucked out, & i know he did. :thumbsup:

- terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks leashedForLife! He has a brother who has a longer coat and looks like an aussie mix... that's why I leaned that way.... I agree with you on the ACD as well. He has stayed lean, and only weighs 38 lbs.... but boy does he love running and wrestling other dogs... take care!

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Half-sibs?...

bear in mind, if mom-dog wasn't carefully supervised AT ALL TIMES, there could be more than 1 sire of a litter -
one or more pups could be half-siblings, with the same dam but a different sire.

Bitches are in standing heat for approx 3 days, & sperm can survive for 5 to 7 entire days in her reproductive tract [uterus & Fallopian tubes] to inseminate any fertile eggs.
So there can be a range of 'ages dated from conception' in the same litter, & a few days can make quite a difference in the neonate - they catch up with their more developed littermates very quickly, once born.

cheers,
- terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts