Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Kaya, we adopted her at the humane society, they said bluetick coonhound/lab mix. But they weren't positive, but she has stunning blue eyes and those don't seem to be a hound or lab feature. She is 6 months now and about 40lbs. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Stunning eyes. Do you have any current photos? Full body shots? The build will help a lot on guessing breed. Also do you know what area she came from?

Reactions: Horse Rider

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Those are gorgeous eyes. I would have to agree she looks like a hound mix, but I don't know about Lab. Where was she born? I know hounds are popular in the south, and Catahoulas (that carry genes for blue eyes) are very popular there too. It's possible that might be in her mix. The blue eyes could be a fluke though. And like someone else said you'll be able to tell more about her as she ages.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Given her size, I'd lean more towards Beagle mix then Bluetick mix. Something about her face has me wondering if there might be some Dachshund in her as well. Regarding her eyes, although not an accepted color, I think blue crops up in Beagles on occasion.

·
Registered
502 Posts
She definitely looks like a bluetick/black and tan coonhound mix. Possibly with catahoula. I don't really see any lab, just hound.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't see any lab.

Lab is a very common dog, often if a shelter thinks a dog is breed A but probably not fully breed X, and it's a large dog, they'll say it is breed A crossed with lab.

As the post above me said, Catahoula is a good candidate for the source of those eyes, and also the coloring on his chest and abdomen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Whoa- she's taller than I thought! Rethinking the Beagle/Dachshund guess. Sticking with Beagle, but now think there could be Bluetick as well. She's a stunning looking dog. Absolutely beautiful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts