1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

IMG_20170616_094831695.jpg

IMG_20170612_155543842_HDR.jpg

This is my new puppy Remy. He is a rescue, estimated at 3-4 months old by the vet. He was listed as a Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, which the vet agrees with. However, he has some abnormalities and people have pointed to his facial coloring to indicate that he might be a Beagle. Vet projects he will be 60 lbs, which is not beagle size...

"Features on this model":
-double dew claws on both feet in the back: mark of larger breeds like St. Bernard, Great Pyrenees
-webbed feet
-long fur, with what I think is two coats? Takes a lot of scrubbing to get water to his skin, so I think it is two coats.
-ears are triangular (by my judgement) and only go to his eye, not his nose like Beagles' do.
-merle black and silver coloring on the body (Aussie????)

Only reason I want to know is so that I can adjust his training and plan on his size and temperament. Great Pyrenees is obviously very different than a Beagle...

Of course, the easy answer is that he's just a mutt ;)

Any comments very appreciated!

Kim

·
Registered
287 Posts
He is a special one-of-a-kind mutt. He looks awosome!

How tall & heavy is he now? How old is he?

No mater what the breed a dog is, it can have the same training schedule. The only differences in training depends on their behavior (nipping people, chasing ____,...).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with the border collie/Australian shepherd suggestion ... however, border/cattle dog is also a possibility.

Pink pigment in the nose is common for Aussies, and border collies have over 15 coat colors and markings on their AKC standard ... so the markings aren't always the best way to guess a breed, especially given the BC's wide variety.

Flock guardian breeds are often seen to have double dew claws, but they can happen in other breeds, too! They can get pretty common for border collies in particular, depending on the bloodline. I have personally known a few border collies to have double dew claws on their hindquarters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a special one-of-a-kind mutt. He looks awosome!

How tall & heavy is he now? How old is he?

No mater what the breed a dog is, it can have the same training schedule. The only differences in training depends on their behavior (nipping people, chasing ____,...).

Thanks for the comments! He is 14" tall at the shoulder, 20 lbs, and currently 3-4 months old (vet says his birthday is probably end of February 2017).

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It's not accurate to guess a mix based on what they look like. I can't even begin to guess because I know I'd likely be wrong. Most mutts have more than two breeds in them, and genetics work in funny ways, I bet he even has littermates that look different from him and may even be guessed as different breeds! If you ever do a DNA test on him I'd be interested to see the results!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts