Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - thinking about adopting this little man. He is a mixed breed predicted to grow to 20-24kg when grown. There was the suggestion that he might have some Bernese Mountain dog. I am also wondering on IMG_9315.jpg

IMG_9241.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This should read: Hi all - thinking about adopting this little man. He is a mixed breed predicted to grow to 20-24kg when grown. There was the suggestion that he might have some Bernese Mountain dog. I'm also wondering on Border Collie

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Puppies are really hard to guess breeds they are. Don't really see why they would think the pup had Bernese in it. I could see Border Collie and Lab, maybe. Do you have a large population of certain breeds in your area? Around me we have a lot of Border Collies, hounds, Australian Shepherds, and of course, lots of small breeds.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't see Bernese mountain dog in it at all either. Lab/shepherd maybe.

Honestly, adopting mixed puppies is always a crap shoot, lol. Our first one (border collie mix, I assume) was very nervous when we got him but turned into a very friendly dog. Our second one (eskimo mix) we did a DNA test on to figure out the breeds (the rescue had it wrong), and she's not a stranger friendly dog. They both turned leash reactive, even with socialization and puppy classes etc. My friend got some terrier mix (didn't do a DNA test) from a rescue when we got our last puppy, and he's super friendly with everyone... even though he had no socialization or puppy classes.

So, total crapshoot, depending on genetics and how well they were socialized by the rescue. That will often be more important than the breeds. I'd spend time with the puppy to see if he's what you're looking for temperament-wise (and again, it might change as he grows).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I've only had a pedigree before. This puppy is actually from China - a friend works out there and sometimes rescues dogs. Do you suggest a DNA test then? My current place is a little small. I'm intending to give lots of exercise and likely to move soon too, but the size of my place and no garden is my biggest concern right now

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yes an Embark test would be best for an international dog.

What was her past in China? Street dog, relinquished pet/oops litter, meat farm dog?

She might not be any breed if her parents werenÂ’t pets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts