Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so it is really bothering me. I am just WAY too curious. (ya, i know curiosity killed something at some point :eyeroll: LOL) One day when I am able to I am going to get some sort of DNA test done on her, but I want to see what YOU all think she is mixed with. I KNOW she is mixed with some sort of hound breed. She is very vocal and when chasing deer will do this reallly WEIRD bark/shriek (I wouldn't call it a bay like a hound would do, but she does it when she spots the deer and while she is trying to chase it down) and when she sees something out the window she will do a "Arow Arorow! sound (similar to a husky or malamute does..kinda). She has pointed before, not a PERFECT point, but she has done it when suddenly seeing something. Sometimes she will freeze too. She is so confusing. I thought because her body structure/coloring (The tan and having the white on chest and back white toes) that she was mixed with Rhodesian, but maybe she has pointer? something else? She also has black spots in her white stripe on her chest and a Black dot on the back of her tongue, not sure if that says anything. I am going to ask for a DNA test for xmas! LOL.

Anyways, here are some different shots of her that shows her conformation and "hound" off the best.

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
^^ do you think? Is that what their ears look like undocked?

(I hate docking...Emma's ears could be the argument against docking-cute floppy ears!)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Ok looked around a bit

European doberman with undocked ears

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emmy is a mix. she is too "soft" looking whereas dobes have mostly all sharp planes to them, if that makes sense, she looks more similar to the dobe in the 2nd pic mikey put up too, and seems more stocky, and doesn't have the slight or more defined "back slope" as I see in most dobes, her coat as well isn't dobermany it is slightly longer than i looks, it doesn't cling to her skin. I was told when I adopted her she they thought she was mixed with maybe beagle.. I'm like "BEAGLE????" ya, I don't think so. she has a LOT of skin, her face just doesn't look right, I dunno. Who knows hah!

~MSE

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
don't take this wrong, but she just could be a badly bred doberman. BYB are NOT paying attention to what a dobe should look like, they are just slapping two dogs together....Keep in mind all the pics online are going to be show quality dogs, its ok if she deviates from it a lil bit.

heck look at pomeranians....look at my dog http://www.dogforum.com/dogs/critter_10/ and compare it to this thing

A show style pom

see? Different build but both are still 100% pom.

she looks like an uncropped dobe to me. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well until you put up the EUROPEAN Doberman, I was going to have to disagree that she was all Dobe. I didn't think her nose was pointed enough. We had a beautiful Dobe years ago and her nose was much more pointed and she was ....oh boy....how to explain......sleeker. Not as stocky looking. And she was a BIG Dobe.

But that European Doberman .....looks way different than our Ginger did.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Totally ;) I wish there was a surefire way to know but *EVEN* if you see parents you just don't

My mom grew up with a giant lab cross...when they picked him up from the people, they said his mom was a chihuahua and even had the chi with the pups-pups were bigger then the "mom" -people are dishonest ;)

I totally get your curiosity though!! Once a couple databases have everything we think Mikey might have in him (Corgi we know for 'sure' ...right? lol...and heeler, or basenji...etc) we are going to do the DNA test-think it would be neat- if a waste of money-could be fun anyways.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we are going to do the DNA test-think it would be neat- if a waste of money-could be fun anyways.
in a way that's how I feel, but it's the closest chance I have to see what she truly POSSIBLY might be. I mean I know for example since other breeds were bred to make a dobie, that those might show up, but those would be more obvious. I know I sound silly maybe, but I dunno, I am just not convinced she is a full dobe.. :)

~MSE

·
Banned
557 Posts
Well in some ways I see some coonhound. ( obviously mixed with probably doberman.). Its the softness in the muzzle and placement of the ears, the rise in the back.. hmmm... And the behavior certainly sounds like it..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well in some ways I see some coonhound. ( obviously mixed with probably doberman.). Its the softness in the muzzle and placement of the ears, the rise in the back.. hmmm... And the behavior certainly sounds like it..
I second that. I thought maybe I was crazy and I know breeding can be different and my Doberman has cropped ears, but Emmie doesn't look like my Doberman. Not completely(besides the color difference too). She does look to have some kind of hound in her.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to ask for a Doggie DNA test for xmas (might not get it, but maybe I will have someone pay for part of it or something, LOL) so I will let you all know what I get out of it :p I am going to look to see about doing a blood test version, it seems like it could possibly be more accurate than a swab test. Or so I would think.

~MSE

·
Registered
6 Posts
She is deffinatly doberman.. Maybe somewhere in her lines there is possibly lab, but not much of it at all.. she looks almost purebred to me. If her ears were croped nobody would second guess her.
-Britney-

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I am going to look to see about doing a blood test version, it seems like it could possibly be more accurate than a swab test. Or so I would think.
I've heard that too! I would check out reviews if you can of each test and choose that way...I wonder...*off to google*

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I almost wonder if you just can't get results because dogs are the same species...and breeds were differentiated...like human races, they really are the same.
For instance, if you take me and someone of the same race who's unrelated, statistically speaking I likely am just as closely related to them as someone from a completely different race!
Sooo I almost think-maybe they are just silly right? But I hope they aren't because I'd love to have it done too!

So anyways here's what I found:

Biopet vet breed identification: AKC pitt found to be primarily border collie!
YouTube - Canine DNA test results
At the end it's funny, she tells her dog he's not going to get to keep his AKC championship title LOL

And another review on them
BioPet Vet Lab Canine DNA Test - Secret Shopper - Pet Product Reviews | Dog Time - Dog Blog Network

Article
DNA tests sniff out mutts' breeding - USATODAY.com

"
And, yes, a few dogs comprise so many disparate breeds, the experts and their tests just can't solve the puzzle.
"Even the best test can't answer every question of biology," says Dennis Fantin, chief of operations for MetaMorphix, a company in Beltsville, Md., that has done testing for the AKC for years. The company now offers a $119.95 mixed-breed cheek-swab kit. The Canine Heritage XL Breed Test can detect 108 breeds.
Sometimes, any pure DNA has become "so diluted" by encounters with mixed breeds over the generations that no answers emerge, Fantin says.
Their owners are told the mystery must remain."

DNA Tests for Mixed Breed Dogs: Do Dog Owners Find Test Results Helpful? | Suite101.com

Doggie DNA test aims to sniff out breeds - Does It Work? - msnbc.com

"
Bottom line: While Sherman remains a dog of mystery, the test appears to work perfectly for pooches who fall into the 38 breeds Canine Heritage can identify. If you’ve got a true mutt like I do, it might be worth it to wait for a future version that can test for more types.":

Determine Your Dog's Ancestry with a DNA Test - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

"So the bottom line is, if your vet tells you that your dog is half Labrador Retriever and half Akita, he might not be correct. If you truly want to get a better understanding of the different breeds your dog's DNA comes from, have a lab perform a DNA test. Or if you're perfectly happy not knowing your dog's ancestry, that's OK too. Either way, you'll still love him"

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^See, I was thinking that might be the case, but honestly I knew one day I was gonna be spending 119 bucks or however much it is nowadays ever since the rescue said that they thought she poss. might be mixed with beagle. :rolleyes: it is purely just a curiousity thing with me. At the dog park there was this dog, a mostly black with some white, clearly having some collie, or rather border collie, in her and when her owner got his test on her back it said she had some dobie in her, lol. so we would joke "oh jewel, you are one big bad doberman!" :p

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
LOL :p

Yeh-it's totally something I want to do-no matter if it's not that accruate right?

I want do two though-take a swab of Mikey and a swab of me. That way if they send back two certificates with dog breeds in them I know they are just making up results and not to put too much stock into what they say he is
(Or else I'm in really big trouble and should get my butt to obedience school and start learning to walk nicely on a leash!! :p LOL!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doberman is definately predominant! But the white chest and lenght of ears are a good indicators that its mixed with something else like you mentioned. Maybe American Foxhound-tend to be leggier hounds with ears not as long as other "hound" breeds like Bassett, Bloodhound, Black & Tan Coonhound etc...but you're right-definately some type of slender hound and Dobe...CUTE booties too :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts