Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally think that doodles are backyard-bred, and way too overpriced for a mixed breed. I also think that if you buy one and call it 'rescuing' its not actually helping, its funding the problem. People are doodling breeds too much, I've even seen saint berdoodles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have mixed feelings. Standard and miniature poodles were originally bird dogs. Therefore, I'm not completely horrified by the idea of breeding them to a retriever or spaniel. At least the parent breeds have complementary drives. Assuming the sire and dam are properly selected, the offspring should be temperamentally sound.

What does horrify me is that many doodle breeders are careless in their selection of breeding stock and over-promise the merits of the puppies.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I think they're too popular, and not nearly enough care is being put into screening for temperament and health during the breeding process.

I personally think they're going to have a pretty similar arc to Cockers - Cockers are supposed to be really friendly, biddable, sociable dogs; they were once, and many still are - but they rose to popularity really fast, became incredibly overbred, and as a result there are a lot out there that have some loose screws. It's incredibly unfortunate, but when people just churn out puppies for the sake of puppies and a quick buck, it's what happens.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think my biggest issues are with the thinking going around the breeding and hype of doodles.

No, the coat will not be guaranteed easier, allergy-friendly, or whatever.

There is no promised hybrid-vigor from poorly selected parents.

Genetics and reality do not guarantee a, "Best of both with none of the problems," because that is merely what you want.

They are not a breed. There are people working on making goldenxpoodle crosses a breed, but throwing a poodle with x does not make it a breed.

But, I don't mind the dogs themselves or their people as long as they aren't pushing marketing lies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doodles are a mixed breed dog that is becoming more and more popular. There are many different types of doodles, all of which are a mix between a poodle and another breed of dog. Doodles can be great family dogs because they are usually friendly, intelligent, and easy to train. They can also be good with children and other animals. However, not all doodles are the same, so it is important to do your research before you decide to get one. Some doodles may have health problems or be difficult to train. Overall, I think doodles make great family pets and are worth considering if you are looking for a new dog.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love my poodle mix. I did embark and he is a big mix so I call him a muttadoodle. I understand the appeal of a non shedding dog. But, grooming gets expensive. I would not spend a lot of money for a mixed breed, you can find non shedding dogs at rescues if not a shelter.

cockapoos have been around a long time. But, the designer dog trend has exploded. Lots of doodles around here. Not a doodle, but puggles seem common, too, I don’t know what people have against poodles that they want to change them.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think it's necessary that they have something against poodles, just that the non-shedding coat has a lot of appeal and they misguidedly think they can get ------ dog with a coat that doesn't shed.

The hype, expense and misinformation are the things that bother me the most about doodles. Not anything to do with the dogs themselves or their people.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have a Golden Doodle. She has a really easy coat to take care of, never matts. As I clip my own dogs I keep her fairly short in the summer and longer in the winter. I really appreciate the non-shedding, two of my other dogs are Maltese Shih Tzu and do not shed either.

The Goldens are a nice breed but the amount of hair they shed is impossible. I think some people went overboard breeding everything to a Poodle for seemingly no other reason but they seemed to think everything would be non-shedding.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My Golden Doodle has a great disposition, is really smart and did well in AGILITY before Covid and loved doing it. They are like most breeds and need the proper training.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts