Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They started about a month ago on my 4 year old boxer mix. He has never had any skin issues or fleas before. They seem to lessen and get worse but have not gone away completely or covered his whole body in that time. When we first noticed them we found a flea but promptly followed all recommendations including flea baths etc. We have only seen 2-4 fleas in that time, so I do not think that these are solely a result of fleas. They do not itch and he doesn't seem to bother the bumps but on a rare occasion. The bumps are mostly on his right inner thigh. The others are on the outside of both thighs and some on his back. There are a few dozen total. Most are puss filled but some are just red bumps. The ones that are on his back and outer thigh are under the fur and there is no hair loss. We have also tried Benadryl thinking they could be from a reaction but that did not do anything. I will make him an appointment but just curious on what it could be. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Likely a skin infection, possibly secondary to the flea infestation or secondary to allergies. Flea baths are crap so make sure you're using a topical medication on him for fleas. He'll need antibiotics so take him to the vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Holly. We did do the topical flea treatment as well as a spray for in between the treatments. We haven't seen the fleas for almost a week. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We use frontline, zodiac spray, and I have been cleaning the house like a mad woman (vacuuming, washing sheets etc.) and also using a house spray, and cleaning very often. But again, I really don't feel that this is fleas. It could be but he doesn't scratch and I have only seen a total of 4 fleas in 1 month. Do you have any other recommendations for fleas. I was told by the lady at the pet store to use advantax instead.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Depending on where you live, there have been resistance issues with Frontline. The Advantix is good, I just don't use it since its toxic to cats.

I don't think it's all flea related either but animals with flea bite allergies need to only be bit once to set off a reaction. Proper flea prevention just limits possible causes, that's all!

Ditch anything Zodiac or Hartz you might have-- too many bad reactions in dogs and cats. The only thing is add to your cleaning is a flea collar INTO the vacuum canister to kill anything you vacuum up (this can be Hartz or Zodiac, no biggie).

Other than that, I think you just need some antibiotics to clear it up. Could be contact allergy or food allergy related too but I'd clear this up and see If it recurs before I'd go change anything else around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the same thing, that he is having a reaction to a flea bite, but since the Benadryl didn't help at all, I wasn't sure. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts