Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my dog has a mast tumor after her second vet visit. She was a few weeks old when my family got her in 2011. The vet recommended getting it removed today, but I lied and said I didn't have the money to pay. It will be $397 (I told my dad I wanted to set an appointment for my dog and my aunt overheard and replied that it was "too expensive and that the dog was "mean anyways" Did she imply that I should just let my dog die?ugh). I don't have a paying job and the money I have to pay is actually from college grants. No one else is willing to pay, so I would be using what I got from college grants. So, technically, I actually do have the money, it's just that I'm afraid of what might happen in the process. Has a dog ever died during this procedure? How was the procedure like for your dog? Did your dog live long after the surgery? How was the healing process? These are questions I should probably ask the vet, but I want to read from others' experiences. Any words of encouragement? Attached the picture of my dog's tumor.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
My old boy had a mast cell taken off his leg last year, he was 14 with stage 4 heart failure when he had it removed and came through fine..and is now 15 and still going strong .You say you are worried about your dog making it through the surgery, well there is always a risk of course but mast cell is nasty and can spread very quickly so if you are going to have it removed it needs to be done sooner rather than later i would have thought. we were lucky and caught it before it had spread to lymph nodes, im not sure what stage your dogs mast cell is at but best bet is to have another conversation with your vet and find out what id going to happen if you dont have it removed and the timescale involved. We were told its very aggressive and we needed to move quickly, but not sure if your dog is the same .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My old boy had a mast cell taken off his leg last year, he was 14 with stage 4 heart failure when he had it removed and came through fine..and is now 15 and still going strong .You say you are worried about your dog making it through the surgery, well there is always a risk of course but mast cell is nasty and can spread very quickly so if you are going to have it removed it needs to be done sooner rather than later i would have thought. we were lucky and caught it before it had spread to lymph nodes, im not sure what stage your dogs mast cell is at but best bet is to have another conversation with your vet and find out what id going to happen if you dont have it removed and the timescale involved. We were told its very aggressive and we needed to move quickly, but not sure if your dog is the same .
Do you think $397 is too expensive for this type of procedure?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If there are other vets in your area, you could probably get a second opinion on the cost. But I think anymore, it's hard to get a dog in and out of any kind of surgery for less than $150.00 - and that's for simple things and in areas where vet care is really really low cost. In some areas you might find that your $400.00 operation might be $250. but in other area's it could even go as high as $600.00.

I think vet care cost is determined a lot of times by the economics of the area the clinic is located in, and personally how interested the vet is in making money to buy all their 'toys' with... I have a vet, she's all heart...not in it for the money...she makes enough to pay her bills and to set aside a little for later. But she doesn't drive a fancy car, or have a fancy house etc.. She quoted me $250.00 dollars for an operation that I see on the internet usually averages around $1500.00.

But what it comes down to, is what you have in your area and who you trust with your pet. Some vets will work with people on payments too. My vet asks for 1/3 down and to make payment to pay it off in 3 months of possible. If a person can't do 3 months...she's fine with letting them pay off a bill...but try to do it in under a year.

As for your dog surviving. There is always a risk to operations. But, unless your dog has other health issues...such as being very very old, or having a disease that affects it's general health. I think the operation shouldn't be a problem. As others have said, just tell everyone the dog needs handled carefully due to biting issues.

I have had probably 5 of my dogs who each had several tumors in their lives, have to go under and have the tumors removed. One was 13 at the time and he pulled through just fine. It's ok to be concerned, but don't be so fearful as to just ignore the problem and not have it done.

As for your aunt. Some people just can't find compassion for others if it was served on a big platter and put right under their noses. Don't let what she said get to you. It's your dog, you love it, and it's your money...not hers...so her opinion doesn't mean diddly. You have to be the one to stand strong for your pet when it needs you.

This means sometimes taking a beating in the wallet and doing with out something nice for yourself for a while to pay for vet bills. It also means, not letting your fear dictate whether or not to get your dog medical treatment. If you don't trust your vet's opinion, or wonder if the price is too high..you need to get a second opinion from another vet if possible.

Stormy

Reactions: Grabby
1 - 4 of 4 Posts