Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong she went over a month without 1 poop accident now she has then every day, she pees everywhere despite me taking her outside. I took her outside multiple times today and she pooped 2-3 times outside and still pooped inside. I have been working on house training since I got her in July It just doesn't seem to be making any progress at all. My parents are getting mad because she is taking so long to house train I thought we were getting better and then she starts pooping on the floor everyday She went from never pooping on the floor to an every day thing. What am I doing wrong I take her out every 2 hours after drinking after eating when she wakes up after playing everything I never yell at her when she pees or poops and I praise her when she goes outside but its still only getting worse. Her sister hasn't had an accident in 2 months she was housetrained within a week and Bella is just making no progress at all. I'm starting to wonder what it is I'm doing wrong. I have never had this problem every dog I have ever had was house trained within a month It has been almost 2 1/2 months with bella and there has been no progress at all. I'm getting frustrated because I don't know what to do. I want her to be making progress I know she won't be fully housetrained by now but there should be progress she should not be getting worse. Why would she go from not pooping on the floor at all to pooping on the floor everyday. I had it where she whined whenever she had to poop so I took her out now NOTHING.... I just don't get it. She gives no warning that she needs to go out and it seems no matter how often I take her out she still has accidents

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Make that 3 times in one day... I take her out but it doesn't matter how often I take her out she still has accident's I could literally take her out every 5 minutes and she would still have accidents my mom doesn't even want her out of the crate at all anymore until she is 100% house trained I know shes a puppy and she will have accidents but after over 2 months of house training she should be at least partially trained by now. She has made 0 Progress. I'm starting to think its impossible to house train her.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
My best guess as to what you are doing wrong.

You are not giving her a high value treat each time she potties outside. At this point it needs to be a high value treat and you have to pop it into her mouth as soon as her butt starts to rise when she's done pottying. Use a clicker for good measure and click as soon as she finishes pottying. You mention praising her but not once have I seen you mention giving her a treat even though I've seen it recommended that you use one.

She has to much freedom, you need to have her tethered to you, in an exercise pen, or in her crate unless you are 100% certain that she's emptied her bladder or bowels. She cannot poo as fast as she pees and that alone tells me you are not watching her, you should be there to scoop her up and put her outside as soon as she assumes the pooing position, she should not have the opportunity to have that accident. If you cannot have your eyes on her she should not have freedom.

Not sure about this one but you might not be using an enzyme cleaner to clean up accidents, or may not be using it correctly. You should be using one and if it's carpeting you need to use enough to reach the carpet padding.

One bit of advice then I'm done. Play with her potty schedule and figure out what works for you. You may need to let her outside, to potty and since you say she won't potty twice but potties within 5 minutes of getting back in then bring her in, put her in her crate, and take her out in 5 minutes and see if she'll potty again. Do that till she potties the second time, then let her have some freedom till it's time to bring her out again, maybe in an hour, maybe in 30 minutes, whatever works for y'all. If she doesn't potty when you bring her back out then she can't have freedom when you bring her back in.

Reactions: amaryllis and Red

·
Registered
290 Posts
If she was doing a little better and suddenly started having accidents again, I would consult a veterinarian to rule out any health problems. It could be one of many things, whether medical or otherwise.

What your mother wants would be completely counterproductive to house training your pup. Sure, you can teach a dog to go potty outside in that kind of situation, but being in a crate basically 24/7 is not a good thing for the dog, physically or mentally.

Dogs are like children, they learn at different rates. Heck, I wasn't fully toilet trained until I was six years old (embarrassing? yes, but I'm making a point). The key is patience and consistency. Though, seeing as it doesn't seem to make a difference how often you take her out, I would definitely consider the vet option. An animal doesn't go from no poop accidents to suddenly pooping all over the place for no reason.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She only poops on the floor when my parents watch her like when I'm doing homework or taking a nap or taking a shower. Today I was sick so my dad took her out didnt wait for her to poop or take her out after eating and he also did not put up the baby gate like we tell him to do so she went to the back of the house and pooped she never does it in front of us.. When we confine her to the living room she goes behind furniture and does it. I'm going to start keeping her in my room 24/7 since my parents will not listen and do the right thing. and we do clean the carpets I got out our deep cleaning carpet cleaner and used carpet cleaner for pet odor and pet stains and cleaned the carpet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Your carpet cleaner may not be doing the trick, most of them only clean til the human nose can't detect it. Try to get your parents to pick up Nature's Miracle. If there's even a hint of potty smell to a dog, that tells them going inside is okay.

You have both pups in the house? Are you SURE the other pup isn't doing anything, if it's always out of sight where you can't see it? Pooping four plus times a day is a lot for just one puppy.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
and she has already been to the vet. They said its nothing medical that shes just being stubborn
I just think she does not have a clear idea of where to go. Try clicker training it will help identify out side as the only place you want her to go. For right now use the clicker for only potty training. Get the best treats, real meat if possible.
The first video will help you understand why it works and the second is about potty training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Until you stop making excuses as to why you can't follow the advice you have been given you are right she'll never be housetrained. We've given you tons of advice, and numerous articles, follow the advice and she will housetrain, keep making excuses and she will never be housetrained.

·
Registered
662 Posts
and she has already been to the vet. They said its nothing medical that shes just being stubborn
Dogs are not are willfully stubborn, that is anthropomorphizing their thought processes. If you follow the advice given to you in this thread and work at it consistently your dog will get it.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I HAVE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN TOLD ITS STILL NOT WORKING UNLESS YOU ARE HERE SEEING WHAT I DO HOW CAN YOU TELL ME IM NOT FOLLOWING THE ADVISE I HAVE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING FROM ALL THE LINKS FOR THE PAST 2 1/2 MONTHS STILL NO PROGRESS

and we know it's not the other dog because she never poos on the floor and we can tell theres apart because the other dog is alot smaller so her poop is little compared to bella

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Despite only having two accidents inside, our 10 week old puppy is a pain for me to toilet outside for me...I've done so much work on teaching him to sit and walk beside me that all he does outside is sit and walk beside me!!

I started rewarding these behaviours with treats (because they are good!) but he only gets a click of the clicker and the really good stuff (ham) when he goes to the toilet. The clicker has made a real difference.

You need to break out the good stuff. When Raiden toilets outside he gets ham, a few normal treats and I am on the floor with him squealing how good he's been and fussing him so much. We have a puppy party every time he does his business outside, and my bf does the same.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been trying to do all that my dad just doesn't do the same thing I do he doesn't leave her out long enough and when she poops he blames it on me. I usually take her out myself but when I'm at schoool and I'm not home they don't watch her. When I'm home shes going to be in my room 24/7 since I'm always in my room anyway

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I HAVE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN TOLD ITS STILL NOT WORKING UNLESS YOU ARE HERE SEEING WHAT I DO HOW CAN YOU TELL ME IM NOT FOLLOWING THE ADVISE I HAVE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING FROM ALL THE LINKS FOR THE PAST 2 1/2 MONTHS STILL NO PROGRESS

and we know it's not the other dog because she never poos on the floor and we can tell theres apart because the other dog is alot smaller so her poop is little compared to bella
But there's not much more people on this forum can tell you to do.

Either she doesn't know where she's supposed to pee, your not reinforcing her quickly / with high enough treats, you're not using a cleaner designed to get rid of dog pee or there's something medically wrong.

Talk it through with us, tell us in detail what you do outside when she goes to the toilet...here's what we do:

1) Take Raiden outside and put him on the ground
2) Raiden usually sits so I calmly tell him good and give him a 'boring' treat
3) I walk about to his favourite spots to go to the toilet
4) He gets the low value treats for sitting and walking nicely at my side, but otherwise I completely ignore him
5) He goes to the toilet, I click just as he's finishing (so as not to disturb), get down to the ground, give him maybe five tiny pieces of ham, a couple treats, get him on my lap and fuss him like crazy
6) We do a little training, then we come inside

If we take him out to the toilet and he doesn't pee, he goes into his pen as he won't pee in there. Five or ten minutes later, out we go again, and repeat until he does go.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have been trying to do all that my dad just doesn't do the same thing I do he doesn't leave her out long enough and when she poops he blames it on me. I usually take her out myself but when I'm at schoool and I'm not home they don't watch her. When I'm home shes going to be in my room 24/7 since I'm always in my room anyway
Cross-post, sorry. That is annoying...

Would writing out a clear, step-by-step list (like the one I did above) help your dad understand what to do and how long he needs to be out there? Can you set up a pen that your pup could be put in, if she doesn't go in the garden with your dad, and tell him he has to try again in five minutes' time?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Gosh, no need to yell at those that are trying to help you.

I think your problem is others in the house are not on the same page as you confusing your pup. Without consistency, there can be zero success.

But @Rain, @Red, @Dawnben plus others have really shared their best for you. Please pick a method that everyone can follow in the house, and you will see things improve.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
What do you use for her treats when she potties outside?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
We all understand you are frustrated, but please do not take it out on the memebers trying to help you. They are also frustrated.;)

You really have been given all the information you need to housetrain Bella in this as well as your other threads about the problems you are having. It's completely up to you to apply the information. If you cannot and/or do not have success, then it's time to find a trainer in your area to help. Or perhaps find a trainer who with work with you via video or skype consults. Iirc in a prior thread I actually gave you a link or two to good reward based trainers who do so.

I'm assuming you do want some feedback as you posted here. If so below is what I noticed and think. If you do not want my advice, then just ignore. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To start, I'm honestly a bit confused here as it seems as if there's some conflicting information...

For example:
Who's doing the training? You, your parents, or a combo?
In your first post there's absolutely no mention of your parents doing any training. You pretty clearly say that you are doing the housetraining and Bella is still having accidents, both pee and poop, in the house. Then in a following post the blame is passed to parents as Bella only poos inside when they are taking her out?

The conflicting info makes me think that there is a big problem with inconsistency... and inconsistency just creates a confused dog and sets the dog up for failure.

The fact that Bella is able to sneak off to potty clearly indicates that the she is not being supervised and managed well enough. You are very unlikely to housetrain her if you cannot tackle this part of the equation as the habit of going potty inside has already been established. You need to literally go back to puppy housetraining 101. See the housetraining sticky thread. Do you know where to find it?

You need to completely eliminate her ability to leave your sight. Be it tethering her to you, closing doors, using babygates and ex-pens to keep her in the room with you... and if unable to watch her she needs to be crated or in an ex-pen. Even if in the same room you need to have eyes on her. If you are on a laptop, reading, watching tv, etc. then you cannot be effectively supervising so she needs to be crated or something nearby.

In addition, sneaking off is often a sign that a dog has is some way been punished for going potty. Some dogs, if punished for accidents, learn not to go in front of people (thus sneaking off to take care of business). They do not make the connection that going inside was ''wrong''. Really take a look at your parents' and your behavior as well as training being done to see if perhaps Bella is (intentionally or unintentionally) being punished for her accidents.

It's great that your parents are willing to help and taker her out, but ultimately she is your dog. You need to be the one who steps it up and makes sure that she is taken out regularly, given treats not just praise for going potty outside, and that she is properly supervised and managed at all times.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only time my dad takes her out is when I'm not home or if I'm sick, but he doesn't do it often enough and he blames it on me by saying I'm not taking her out enough.. She hasn't peed on the floor today but she has pooped because my dad didn't put up a baby gate or leave her out long enough.. we usually keep her confined to the living room and kitchen our kitchen door is to wide to put up a gate and theres no door to actually shut, The living room is also to small for an expen since my mom uses a walker and needs the space so thats why she normally is confined to those 2 rooms but she goes to my dads room when he doesn't put the gate up like hes supposed to or goes behind the chair in the living room we never know she does it because she likes to sleep behind the chair with our other dog so we never thought anything of it when she goes back there. the only think I can really do is just confine her to my room and make her stay on the bed if she gets on the floor my bed blocks my view of her. I do not give her treats because she has such a sensitive stomach a-lot of table food or stuff we give her messes her stomach up and the other 4 dogs I have house trained we never used treats just took them out walked around and praised. Also like I already said she has already been checked over by the vet and there is no medical problems

·
Registered
876 Posts
If your room is the only place she can be put that someone, ANYONE can keep an eye on her all the time as is required by having a puppy, then do it.

Clearly as you can see, just because it worked on past dogs doesn't mean it will now. Consider trying boiled chicken for a treat, it's about as harmless as food can get. If she gets sick on that too, maybe there really ARE medical problems and you should see another vet. Dogs, even small puppies, getting sick constantly on even treats is NOT normal and healthy. At the least, she may have allergies, which is again not healthy or 'normal'.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts