Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cobber is just 6 mos old and is still eating Wellness Super5Mix puppy kibble. The breeder had him on Eukanuba but I switched to Wellness shortly after getting him at 8 weeks, and he took to the Wellness wonderfully.

For an adult food, I'd like to go with Wellness Core Grain Free Small Breed, and I'm just wondering at what age I should start mixing that in to initiate a switch-over. There's no rush, and I have a pretty big bag of the puppy that we're going to be working on for awhile, but I'm just trying to gauge things so I don't end up buying more puppy food when he won't necessarily need that much more, if that makes any sense. :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with marbear (8mo-1y). Small dogs mature sooner. If you're taking the puppy to the vet regularly they'll be keeping track of the dog's weight. They can more or less tell when s/he stops growing. Since a lot of small dogs are high energy you won't have to worry very much about putting a hard-cap date on switching to adult food. They do okay with the extra fat in puppy food. Just finish the bag and see how things go. Also, some brands make ALS(all life stage) foods. You can switch to one of those whenever you like. Wellness core is an excellent line of food--i just wouldn't rush into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts