Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw the pic of this dog and the caption read "Golden Retriever & Dachshund" and I think it looks absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's not a breed. It's a mix. :)
Often they've got backproblems, because the Body is to heavy for the small legs and joints. Problems you get when you crossbreed breeds that are very different in bodytype and size. :(

Reactions: SpicyBulldog

·
Registered
951 Posts
It is a very nice looking dog, but it is a mix, not a breed.

Mathilda, you will have to explain your theory more. I'd think that if as a breed the daschund has back problems because of how long it's back is in relation with it's size in general, that crossing with a dog with a more normal back would reduce the risk of back issues.

On a side note, the mixed dog remindes me of the Drever and the various Dachsbracke breeds, which are similarly structured, just not with that coat type.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It is a very nice looking dog, but it is a mix, not a breed.

Mathilda, you will have to explain your theory more. I'd think that if as a breed the daschund has back problems because of how long it's back is in relation with it's size in general, that crossing with a dog with a more normal back would reduce the risk of back issues.

On a side note, the mixed dog remindes me of the Drever and the various Dachsbracke breeds, which are similarly structured, just not with that coat type.
It's Dachshund (transl. Badger dog) not Daschund (transl:the trash). ;)
I know Dachsbracken, but you can't compare them with such a mix in my opinion.
Overall they're much slimmer and less heavy than the Dackel-Golden Retreiver mix in my neighbourhood.
It has a gigantic torso and head of a Golden Retreiver on tiny short legs of a Zwergdackel. the length is proportional to a Golden Retreiver, okay...just that it has transport with teeny tiny legs and feet.
It's not just a long back, which can of course be a problem... it's that the body is so much heavier than a normal normal Dackel would be. the Schäferdackel (GSDxDackel)a few streets next to mine also has the giant torso and the mini legs and similiar problems as the Retreiverxdackel.
I've seen similiar problems with our local ChihuahuaxAkita Mix, the the Chihuahua as a breed doesn't have an overproportional long body, but he still has a bone problems, because the torso is too big for his legs and feet. He's got shoulder and hip problems as far as I remember.

Mixing very large dogs with tiny dogs can just bring a lot of problems with it.
they're all cute (well the Chikita is more cute when you're few meters away, nasty temperament), but the mix is health-wise not always without complications.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Dachshunds and similar breeds also have inherent abnormalities in the discs in their backs that make them more prone to injury. It's not just a matter of their physical shape.

Other than the size, I'd almost buy that do in the picture was a long haired dachshund. It looks decently proportioned, actually.

·
Registered
406 Posts
...Other than the size, I'd almost buy that do in the picture was a long haired dachshund. It looks decently proportioned, actually.
At first glance, I thought it looked a lot like a long haired Dachshund , too. I was actually leaning towards maybe Dachshund/Cocker Spanieal until I took a second look. I can definitely see Golden in the head and fore quarter.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm usually not one to be negative in someone's thread...but honestly, I don't find the dog cute... I kind of find him disturbing...because yeah, I definitely see the Golden in him.

I have a full blood Golden...and to me...that dog does not look cute or pretty...more like that 'warped' look one gets when standing in front of a fun house mirror that changes your body shape. :p

If this dog was bred on purpose....which given the trend now days with 'designer dogs'.... my 2 cents:

I think it's just wrong to purposely breed a very large dog with a small dog...as other said...the body mechanics probably don't bode well.

Also, given the mother was the Golden Retriever...of all the puppies she had...how many of them ended up looking like the one if the photo, if that is what the breeder desired? I am just envisioning a freakish diversity in a large litter of pups, given a Golden averages 8 puppies in a litter. Some probably end up with long legs, but weird chests and heads... or other out of proportion stuff...ugly fur type or coloring that's neither Golden nor Dachshund looking...

My Golden, HaHa, even though a full bred, was still born defective...his head didn't develop correctly, he has kind of small head, with wonky eyes, and his muzzle is too short...which makes his teeth a little weird too, in that the bottom fangs are splayed out a bit. He has a hard time grabbing hold of some things due to that. Plus he's slightly retarded....his learning disability kept him from getting adopted for a long time.

My point is, even when breeders are trying to breed true, things still go wrong. When they just try to mix and match such vastly different breeds, to see what happens or try to get a certain look, I can imagine a lot of things don't go right -- with maybe only 1 puppy out of 8 coming out looking like whatever the breeder was going for...and what happens to those puppies that fail to make the grade?

Do they end up tossed in the shelters because the breeders can't sell them - which is what happened with HaHa as his birth defects also caused issues with his digestive system and he had a hard time putting on weight. Or even worse than the breeder turning them over to a shelter...the pups could end up dead in many heartless ways if the breeder is one that doesn't see the dogs as anything but a way to make a quick buck with an unusual looking dog.

Stormy

Reactions: mathilda
1 - 9 of 9 Posts