Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
xpost from other forum

Ugh what a disaster last night

Walking home late last night a man is walking his lab on the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Off leash. I see the dog look over at us with a look that I well recognize from my own lab as he locates a possible friend/breeding partner. I didn't think much at first but then in less than 20 seconds everything happened so quickly I barely had time to react. The lab decides to cross the 4 lane street at a sprint. The owner calls out to him in vain and begins to follow. Leia jumps back. Her collar slips over her head. The Lab arrives. Leia takes off running at full speed. She makes it almost 40m down the sidewalk before slamming on the breaks and turning around. The man arrives while calling out apologies and grabs his dogs collar. Leia is sprinting back towards me. The man is bending down next to me putting on a leash. I notice the look in her eye. I call out to her. In vain. She lunges mouth fully opened and hits most likely where she was aiming, his neck. He's knocked on his side and she sort of flys over him. The lab freaks and growls will lunging as she rolls on to her feet. She lands a bite on the underside of the labs neck as I manage to get my arm around her own neck. The guy has managed to grab his labs collar and I'm already moving away from them holding on to Leia's scruff.

no more than 20 seconds. Felt like 20 minutes.

I get her collar back on. The man is bleeding lightly. She's got some of his shirt stuck in her teeth. The lab is barking. She's snarling. I apologize, he apologizes. Supposedly the lab has never crossed the street, supposedly Leia has never done that before. We're both pretty shaken and move on quickly.

Writing this all down was rough, just remembering it gets my adrenaline going. Thankfully it seems I was more shaken up than Leia was, by the time we had made it home she was acting like nothing had happened and was back to wagging her tail and was playing with Simba.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How old is she?
perhaps she's growing up.
She was a Fila Braziliero if i remember right?
the bigger Molosser breeds, when growing up, often get less tolerant when it comes dogs, they don't know, approaching them or their human partner.
And it seems some dogs get more wary when it is dark.
Part of the "joys" of owning a protective dog.

She's not a monster because of what happened, but you should think about how to manage her to make sure that such a thing doesn't happen again. I'd also recommend condition her on a muzzle, so you can let her wear it on evening walks or in other situations where she should be confronted with strangers approaching her.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think she's a monster by any means, in the end she didn't desert me. I'm pissed that his dog crossed the street and rushed us. I'm pissed that I didn't have the collar tight enough (which will never happen again) and I'm a little annoyed that she ran off at first (even if she came back in the end) I would have liked for her to stand her ground.

I think her slipping the collar startled her as much as the rushing dog. It was the first time it ever happened. I imagine it'd be a bit like loosing your saftey net since its what tethers your dog to you

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How old is she?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Seven months is still very young, really just moving into adolescence and maturity. Things happen and as you say, she was likely startled and she reacted with her protection instincts. This doesn't make her a bad dog by any means. Keep working with her which is stating a given! I am sure it has affected you 1000 times more than her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The mistake you made, which you already know, is the fact that she slipped her collar. When you own such a powerful breed, those types of slip ups cannot happen. If she is kept on leash, then the dog running up to you rest on the responsibility of the other owner. You learned a lesson which should prepare you for what lies ahead. 7 months old is still young, the beginning of maturity, now you know those instincts will increase with your dog's maturity, esp. at age 18 to 24 months.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd invest in a martingale collar, they are pretty much slip proof while not being able to choke the dog if they are properly fitted. I had a dog that could slip a properly fitted flat collar unless I made the collar to tight and she could not slip the martingale that I bought for her. They make martingales out of pretty much all material so you should be able to find one that suits you and Leia, the only warning that I have about them is that they should be taken off the dog unless being used to walk him or her.

These are a bit expensive but are beautiful examples of leather and chain martingales..
https://www.etsy.com/listing/221359520/tooled-leather-chain-martingale-collar?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-pet_supplies-pet_collars_and_leashes-pet_collars_and_jewelry&utm_custom1=07fcf29c-453e-4fe4-8ac3-68e9b7bb5611&gclid=CJr0vaqeyMkCFZODaQod7UwDgQ

I hope that the lab, and other guy, was also alright.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I always use a martingale style collar on my mastiff, however, I prefer the design of the Blocky Dogs Dual Grip, as it can be both a martingale and a flat collar and is specially designed for big strong dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts